UW Directories | Calendar | Map | MyUW
UW logo
Skip to Main
Human Subjects Division (HSD)


Paying Research Subjects – Check Request Policy

Mar 23, 2009 at 4:21pm
Effective May 1, 2009, the Check Request method can no longer be used for making payments to UW research subjects unless the subjects are foreign nationals.  Instead, subjects must be paid using a department revolving fund, a field advance, or a gift card. This change is required because the Check Request method is the only payment method that results in the inclusion of identifiable subject information in the UW’s Financial Accounting System (FAS).  On May 1st, a new Open Access policy for FAS will significantly increase the number of people with access to UW budget information.  To best protect the confidentiality of subjects, alternative payment methods must be used. To open a department revolving fund, follow the simple procedures described at: http://www.washington.edu/admin/finserv/bankops/pcobtain.html Contact Karen Long (kong@u.washington.edu; Financial Management) or Karen Moe (kemoe@u.washington.edu; Human Subjects Division) if you have any questions. Two HSD documents have been revised in response to this policy change: T-272:  Subject Payment Procedure T-278:  Subject Payment, Confidentiality, and Income Tax NOTE: This policy and accompanying changes do not apply to payments provided through the VA system.