Use the GrantTracker Departmental View for monitoring expiration & final action dates of sponsored award budgets.
All award expenses must be posted in the UW financial system by the Final Action (FAD) date. Expenses posted after the FAD may not be eligible for reimbursement from the sponsor.
If your FAD is approaching and:
- you will have late transactions, use GrantTracker to contact GCA.
- the work is not complete, consider requesting a budget extension.
If upon completion the award has a deficit, it must be resolved per the UW Deficit Resolution policy.
Unexpended funds on a fixed price agreement are returned if required by the sponsor. Otherwise, a PI may request the balance be transferred to a fixed price surplus account (budget), under the direction of the department Chair.
Review Grant and Contract Accounting (GCA) instructions for requesting a fixed price surplus budget.
Request Surplus Balance Transfer to Fixed Price Surplus Accounts
Is your balance greater than 25% of the award amount on Fixed Price Sponsored Program Budget?
- F&A rate of award must match F&A rate of fixed price surplus account where funds are being transferred.
- PI assurance that contractual commitments & deliverables were met & accepted by the sponsor.
- PI concurrence that the funds transferred to a fixed price surplus budget are under direction of the chair.
Upon receipt of your request OSP:
- Reviews the request and the award to determine eligibility
- Creates a Post Award Change (PAC) for \”Transfer to Surplus Account\” in SAGE
- Attaches request from the PI
- OSP may send an inquiry via email with additional questions
- Approves & sends PAC to GCA for budget transfer
- GCA notifies department via Grantracker upon completion of the transfer
Early Termination and Relinquishment
Early termination shortens the life of the project period prior to completion. Relinquishments and award transfers mean returning funds back to the sponsor and giving up the UW’s right to the funding. Review guidance for early terminations and relinquishments.
Forms, Tools, and Resources
Policies, Regulation, and Guidance
- GIM 02 – Acceptance of Sponsored Program Awards and Fiscal…
- GIM 23 – Sponsored Program Costing Policy
- GIM 39 – Closeout of Sponsored Programs
- GIM 21 – Cost Share on Sponsored Programs
- GIM 15 – Transfer of Expenditures Between Budgets
- UW Deficit Resolution Policy
- GCA: Grant & Contract Deficit Procedures