This training provides investigators* funded through Public Health Service (PHS) with the Financial Conflicts of Interest (FCOI) Training. The purpose of the training is to inform PHS-funded investigators of:
- The University of Washington’s revised FCOI Policy effective August 24, 2012
- The PHS 2011 revised FCOI regulation
- Their responsibilities regarding disclosure of Significant Financial Interest (SFI)
*The definition of an “investigator” includes the Principal Investigator (PI) and any other person (regardless of title or position) that the PI identifies as independently responsible for the design, conduct, or reporting of the research.
Who is required to take this training?
Only PHS-funded investigators are required to complete this training for compliance with new PHS regulations. However, any UW personnel who wishes to complete this training module may do so (UW NetID is required to login).
Summary of the requirement
- PHS-funded investigators or investigators anticipating receiving PHS funds must complete online FCOI training prior to the expenditure of funds on any newly-funded projects (e.g., new or continuation awards) received on or after August 24, 2012.
- Current PHS awards are not subject to these new requirements until the next noncompeting continuation award is funded (if after August 24, 2012).
- This training requirement applies only to PHS-funded investigators effective August 24, 2012. However, all PHS-funded investigators who wish to complete this mandatory training prior to this date may do so immediately.