Pop-up windows are separate browser windows that open from a single web site. This can occur when the user clicks on a button or link within a web page, or when a web page automatically opens other windows. SAGE uses pop-up windows, for example, on the eGC1 Certify & Route page to display eGC1 errors in a separate window, to display the eGC1 in a printer friendly format, and for displaying other information that needs to be printed. To use these features in SAGE, you must configure your browser
- to either temporarily disable or turn off pop-up blocking – or –
- to allow pop-up windows from SAGE.
Open a new browser window and without navigating anywhere complete the following directions for the type of computer and browser that you use. Other software added to your computer’s browser can also block pop-up windows (see the list at the end of this section). The Yahoo and Google tool bars, both very popular downloads, have pop-up blocking features. Check with your desktop support personnel for assistance with these.
Configuring your browser’s pop-up blocker:
- FireFox (by Mozilla)
- In the top-right corner of the browser window, click the menu icon (3 horizontal bars).
- Click Options.
- On the left menu, select Content.
- Click Exceptions… to the right of Pop-ups.
- Type: *.uw.edu in the address of website field.
- Click Save Changes, and then click Close.
- IE (version 11)
- Click the Tools icon (gear) in the top-right corner of the browser.
- Click on Internet Options.
- Click on the Privacy tab.
- Click on Settings within the Pop-up Blocker area.
- Type *.uw.edu in the Address of web site to allow field.
- Click Add, and then click Close.
- In the top-right corner of the browser window, click the Chrome menu icon (3 vertical dots).
- Click Settings.
- Click Privacy and security (in the left hand navigation menu).
- Click on Site Settings.
- Click on Pop-ups and redirects.
- To the right of Allow click on ADD
- Type in [*.]uw.edu
- Click the Add button.
- Follow the directions above (the same for PC users)
- FireFox (by Mozilla)
- At the top left, click Firefox
- From the drop-down menu of options, click Preferences.
- Select the Content tab, and then click Exceptions… next to Block pop-up windows.
- Type in *.uw.edu and then click Allow.
- Click Close, and then OK.
Safari has no exceptions function – the pop-up blocker must be either on or off.
- Choose Safari > Preferences
- Click Security.
- In the “Web content” section, select “Block pop-up windows” to enable blocking (this may impact your ability to work with SAGE)
Other Pop-Up Blocker Software
Now that pop-up blocking software is included in most all browsers, the following “add on” pop-up blocking software is seldom used (with the exception of the Google and Yahoo tool bars).
- Yahoo Toolbar and Google Toolbar(built in pop up blockers)
- Popup Stopper Pro (from PanicWare)
- Pop Up Stopper Free
- Pop Up Defender
- Internet Sweeper
- IE Doctor
- Galaxy Spy
- And probably many more not listed here
Most of these have a little icon in the toolbar area of the browser. Click on it to go to a configuration menu where you can add a trusted domain, such as *.uw.edu. Sometimes when these are bundled with other downloads and installed, they may be well hidden with no apparent means of detecting they are there or how to configure them. Contact your desktop support person for more information.