Welcome to the University of Washington! Whether your home campus is in Seattle, Bothell, Tacoma, Spokane or Friday Harbor, we are thrilled that you have chosen the UW to start – or continue – your academic career.
While orientation for new faculty is offered within individual departments, the University provides several opportunities for new faculty across the University to connect with other faculty as they learn about the UW, our region and our state.
Faculty Development Program
At the UW, we believe strongly that we cannot have excellence without a faculty who advance diversity through their research, teaching, mentoring and training of students. In order to provide a welcoming and supportive environment for these faculty, the Faculty Development Program, creates space where they can form social and research networks – across disciplines – and can discuss their experiences, concerns and goals collectively. Developed by UW Presidential Term Professor and sociology professor Alexes Harris, this program is part of our overall commitment to advancing a sense of belonging throughout the UW. Department chairs nominate incoming faculty to participate in the program.
New Faculty Reception
Each autumn quarter, we invite all new faculty to join UW leadership for a New Faculty Welcome Reception. The event provides opportunities for conversation and community building, along with a brief program during which the president, provost and Faculty Senate chair welcome faculty, express gratitude and offer a toast to the academic year ahead. Watch for an emailed invitation early in the academic year.
Faculty Field Tour
The UW Faculty Field Tour is a five-day immersive tour of the state of Washington, designed for about 35 faculty members who are new to the state and to the University. The tour, which takes place in early summer and covers roughly 1,000 miles, starts on Washington’s west side crossing towering mountains and traversing across agricultural heartland. The Faculty Field Tour is a unique opportunity to meet other new faculty from various disciplines and campuses, learn about the communities that UW students come from and talk one-on-one with University leaders.
An email will be sent to eligible faculty members inviting them to apply. Read about the 2022 tour.
- Academic Personnel – support for the recruitment and retention of faculty, librarians and other academic personnel.
- Faculty Advancement – resources for recruiting and retaining a more inclusive faculty.
- UW ADVANCE – career development programs for tenured and tenure-track faculty in STEM on all three campuses.
- Teaching@UW – strategies, resources and connections for new faculty presented by the Center for Teaching and Learning.
- Office of Research – administrative resources and training opportunities for PIs, including proposal resources and funding management.
- UW-IT – technical resources for teaching, researching and planning.
- UW Transportation – information on commuting and parking options.
- Husky Card – official UW ID card that gives you access to transit, libraries and more.
- Benefits – Human Resources – health insurance, retirement and work-life information.
- UW Libraries