The University of Washington offers a full range of grant opportunities for students who qualify. Approximately $250 million in grants were received by our undergraduates in 2019-20. Although grant assistance is not the largest source of funds available, it is important to complete the FAFSA application in case you could be eligible for the programs below.

Grants are federal, state and institutional funds awarded on the basis of need, which do not have to be repaid. Most grant programs are from limited annual allocations and award priority is determined by financial need.

If you are attending from another state, be sure and check with your home state regarding the availability of state grants.

Federal Pell Grants are awarded to eligible undergraduate students. This is the largest federal student grant program. Eligibility is determined by the U.S. Department of Education. Your award amount is based on the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) printed on the Student Aid Report (SAR), the form mailed or e-mailed directly to you after you sent your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Federal Supplemental Grants are for undergraduates with low family contributions, eligible for the Pell Grant.

Washington College Grants, which come from state government revenue, are offered to undergraduate Washington residents with great financial need. Eligibility is determined using a methodology established by the state and administered by the Washington State Achievement Council (WSAC).  Please visit WSAC’s web page for information on program rules and eligibility formulas.  Please note, that in addition to satisfactory academic progress rules, students can receive no more than 15 full-time quarters of WCG in their lifetime.

If you are attending from another state, be sure and check with your home state regarding the availability of state grants.

Tuition Exemption and University Grants are for Washington resident undergraduate students in state-funded programs. These grants are not available to students in fee-based programs.

Tuition Reduction for Children and Surviving Spouses of Law Enforcement Officers, Fire Fighters and Highway Workers is available if you are the child or surviving spouse of a law enforcement officer, fire fighter, or highway worker who lost his or her life or became totally disabled in the line of duty while employed by any public law enforcement agency, fire department, or transportation agency in the state of Washington. Children must begin course of study at a state university within ten (10) years of graduation from high school. The reduction reduces resident tuition only. Your qualifying parent/spouse must have been employed in Washington State at the time of death or disability. The waiver is awarded only to undergraduate students pursuing their first bachelor’s degree, to a maximum of 225 college-level credits, including credits transferred from other institutions of higher education. For more information contact Student Financial Aid in 105 Schmitz Hall.

Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant Program provides federal grants for students who teach as a full-time teacher in a high-need field in a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves low-income students. If the teaching requirement is not fulfilled, this grant converts to an unsubsidized loan you must repay. If you are in a major that leads directly to an initial teaching certificate and are interested in this program, please visit the Teach Grant site to review the details of this program.

Food Security

Hunger is a serious problem for many in our society. We want all students to have access to nutritious food and be able to concentrate on your studies instead of how you’ll get your next meal. If you are experiencing hunger—skipping or reducing meals because you can’t afford to buy food or add to your meal plan, please refer to the resources available through the university.