This online toolkit provides resources to supplement the Handbook of Best Practices for Faculty Searches. It is currently under development so please check back periodically for future updates.
Part 1: Scouting
- UW Information School, Recruiting for Faculty Diversity – example of how one unit engages in scouting at its professional meetings.
Part 2: Preparation
- UW I-School Strategic Plan Overview
- Thinking about Cluster Hiring
- Colleen Flaherty, “New Report Says Cluster Hiring Can Lead to Increased Faculty Diversity.” May 1, 2015. Inside Higher Ed.
Part 3: Outreach
- EOAA website
- Full text of I-200
- 2014 NSF Survey of Earned Doctorates: Doctorate Recipients, by Citizenship Status, Ethnicity, Race and Subfield of Study
- Full text of Chapter 24, Sec. 24-32, “Scholarly and Professional Qualifications of Faculty Members” of the UW Faculty Code
- Sample requests for diversity statements
- Tanya Golash-Boza, “How to Write an Effective Diversity Statement (essay).” June 10, 2016. Inside Higher Ed.
- Tips for evaluating diversity statements
- Sample job advertisements
- EOAA website and UW EOE policies
- Academic Personnel Advertisement Guide on the Office of Academic Personnel website
- Additional Resources:
The Registry, National Registry of Diverse and Strategic Faculty. A list of online journals, academic professional associations, and other professional organizations created by Texas Tech University. Contact your discipline’s professional organization(s) to learn if it hosts listservs for underrepresented academicians or for subfields created around race/ethnicity, if your discipline is not included in The Registry.
Part 4: Assessment
- Sample assessment rubrics:
- Resources and case studies about implicit bias:
- Kirwan Institute Implicit Bias Review
- Interrupting Bias in the Faculty Search Process: A Film and Facilitation Guide
- Implicit Bias: Scientific Foundations
- Project Implicit
- WISELI – Women in Science & Engineering Leadership Institute, “Reviewing Applicants: Research on Bias and Assumptions.”
- Paradigm, “Managing Unconscious Bias: Strategies to Address Bias and Build More Diverse, Inclusive Organizations.”
- Video: Unconscious Bias at Work | Google Ventures. Dr. Brian Welle, Director of People Analytics.
- Guide to “fair” and “unfair” inquiries
- Guide to interviewing candidates with disabilities
- Sample list of campus resources – coming soon
Part 5: Recruitment
- Information about the Greater Washington State Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (GWS HERC):
- Details about the Faculty Recruitment Initiative (FRI)
Part 6: Retention
- Information about the National Center for Faculty Development & Diversity (NCFDD)*
- UW WorkLife – resources on child care, parenting, elder care, and self care
- Additional Mentoring Resources – coming soon
- Kerry Ann Rockquemore, “For A Diverse Faculty, Start With Retention.” January 6, 2016. Inside Higher Ed.
- Joya Misra and Jennifer Lundquist, “Tips to Help Midcareer Faculty Members Find Time for Research Projects (essay).” January 15, 2016. Inside Higher Ed.
- Kerry Ann Rockquemore, “Why Mentor Matches Fail (essay).” February 3, 2016. Inside Higher Ed.
- Example of a unit-level climate survey – conducted by the School of Information Studies at the University of Maryland (survey questions in the appendix)