The Faculty Advancement Initiative (FAI) focuses on two key activities critical to faculty success and institutional transformation:
- Collaborations with departments, schools, and colleges to advance the careers of faculty, with priority given to supporting faculty who enhance the university’s diversity profile. The Office for Faculty Advancement can help with cost-sharing and logistical support for:
- Projects and events that affect groups or cohorts of faculty (e.g., training targeted to assistant professors working toward tenure or associate professors working toward promotion; workshops targeted to women or faculty from underrepresented groups), or
- Projects and events that affect individual faculty members (e.g., intensive mentoring, specialized training, or critical research assistance the department, school, or college is unable to fund on its own).
- Collaborations with colleges or schools and with central administrative units to develop and run workshops, seminars, and peer mentoring groups to promote ongoing training in diversity, inclusion, and faculty advancement for university leadership, including department chairs, program directors, school and college deans, and various associate deans.
A total of $50,000 will be available annually. Typically, the Office for Faculty Advancement will provide no more than 1/3 of required funds in a cost-sharing arrangement with departments and colleges or schools.
Requests for support from the Faculty Advancement Initiative should be made by deans or by department chairs in consultation with their deans in a brief email or attachment (no more than one page). Criteria to consider:
- How will the proposal help enhance the unit’s diversity profile?
- How will the proposal help faculty advance toward tenure or promotion?
- How many faculty members will the proposal engage or assist?
- Has the unit reached out to potential allies to help support the proposal?
- How will the unit measure the proposal’s impact or success?
Send inquiries and requests to Chadwick Allen, Associate Vice Provost for Faculty Advancement, at email@example.com.