Data Science Masters

December 18, 2020

Student Profile: Florencia Marcaccio

Hi Florencia! Tell us a bit about yourself.

I’m originally from Argentina. Before coming to the U.S., I worked as a Big Data Analyst for Telefonica, a telecommunications company. In this position, I developed Machine Learning models and KPIs to improve the quality of their services.

I was awarded a Fulbright Scholarship to pursue an M.S. in Data Science in the U.S., and I chose to come to the UW. In addition to being a graduate student, I’m currently a Data Science Intern with the Academic Experience Design and Delivery team at the UW-IT Department. I have the opportunity to work with an incredible team on projects that impact student persistence and pathways, building Data Science solutions to improve their academic experience.

Why did you choose the M.S. in Data Science program at the UW?

I chose the MSDS program at the UW because the curriculum is interdisciplinary and covers the breadth of data science. The program offers classes in all the areas that I was interested in learning and improving. Additionally, I really liked how the program is industry-focused, which is enhanced by its location in Seattle.

You finished your first year in the program. What has it been like so far?

I have learned a lot in my classes, from the fundamentals to more advanced topics. Even for topics that I had been exposed to previously, I’m learning the more in-depth “why” that I was missing before the program.

Another thing that has impressed me are the many career events organized by the program, where we are given tools to better prepare for the next step in our professional lives. In particular, the Technical Interview Workshop was an extremely helpful resource when preparing for summer internship interviews, and now for full-time positions.

My first year in the program was impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. Fortunately, both the professors and the program staff were able to quickly adapt to the situation and deliver a strong remote learning experience.

You were awarded a Merit & Opportunity Scholarship. How has this scholarship impacted you?

The scholarship has positively impacted my experience in the program. It has enabled me to dedicate myself full-time to my studies, as well as take advantages of the many social activities and career events organized by the program and the university.

What tips do you have for incoming students?

I recommend building relationships with your classmates and senior cohorts and taking advantage of the career development events organized by the MSDS program and the UW.