The new Subawards section in SAGE marks a change in both business process and system usage.
- All subaward intake actions managed through Ariba
- Subaward intake initiates through SAGE, provides OSP the ability to issue agreements at an earlier stage
- Procurement setup & invoicing for subawards continues to initiate through Ariba
An Outgoing Subaward Workflow Diagram is available for your reference.
New in SAGE: Subawards
For this initial release, the following new capabilities and features are available to campus users through SAGE:
- Create a new subaward request and submit to OSP
- Create a new modification request and submit to OSP
- Search/View subaward requests and current status from My Subawards tasklist
- View a detailed summary of all subaward modification history
- Help documentation available through the “?” icons
Important ASTRA Permissions
Users must have the “SAGE Subaward Preparer” role to create new subaward and modification requests. ASTRA: Who Can Authorize me?
Outgoing Subaward Resources
Over the next few months additional releases will provide other functionality, such as:
- returns and resubmit capability
- visibility to OSP comments and hold details
Based on your feedback, enhancements will be prioritized following this initial release.
A user with the Global Edit role who adds personnel to an existing eGC1 may then not be able to delete the added person.
Access the eGC1 from the Approvals tab, and then give yourself Read/Write access to the application on the Contact & Access page. Close out of the eGC1, and switch over to the eGC1 Forms tab. Open the eGC1 from there and re-try deleting the person.
Providing a fix to the Global Role will be considered for a future SAGE project.
If a user has logged into a non-SAGE application that requires authentication (such as financial applications) with a generic or group NetID, and then attempts to access SAGE, they may see the “Whoops!” authorization page.
The clue to the issue is that the user’s name will not appear in the SAGE page header.
To resolve this, the user can either use a separate browser for SAGE or they can close all browser windows and re-open to clear the earlier credentials.
Data from the eGC1 plus each UW organization’s defined approval routing process determines which reviewer roles appear on the approval flow. SAGE uses the information in ASTRA (Access to Systems, Tools, Resources and Applications) to determine the individual reviewers for each role in the approval flow.
This is based on the combination of the persons authorized for the role plus the matching organization code. The match to the organization code must be exact.
- For a Dean’s Reviewer, the org code must be ###-00-00-000
- For a Dept Reviewer, the org code must be ###-##-##-000
- For a Division Reviewer, the org code must be ###-##-##-##-0
When there is no matching ASTRA data for a role on the approval graph, system forwards the reviewer email notification to the Help Desk (email@example.com) so that we can help to resolve the issue.
SAGE Budget: Preliminary Benefit Rates are now available to users of SAGE Budget.
- GIM 3 has been updated to display both current benefit rates and preliminary benefit rates for future budgeting as they become available.
- SAGE Budget will use the correct rate based on the period start date and whether the user has opted to use current and preliminary rates or current-only rates.
- Budget preparers can use a global update feature to update their budgets quickly when preliminary rates become available each year.
- The period entry page for a given person will indicate whether the rate being used is current or preliminary for that period.
An ASTRA information page will display instead of an error message at sign in.
- When you attempt to log in to SAGE without the required ASTRA role, SAGE will display a list of people in your unit who can authorize access to SAGE. You able to choose an authorizer and send him or her a message to request access to SAGE.
Designated Subcontract Actions (SA) attachments are viewable in SAGE.
- Subcontracts Actions (SA) attachments will now be viewable in the Related Documents section of the Attached Documents page if the SA is in Active or Closed-Out status and if the type of attachment is not a To/From Communication.
EH&S has a new compliance question: “Will the project involve scientific diving?”
- Anyone diving under the University of Washington’s auspices must have current certification as a University of Washington Scientific Diver and adhere to the standards set forth in the UW’s Diving Safety Manual. EH&S will contact you to assist in meeting Diving Safety Program requirements prior to diving.
A user with the Global Edit role does not see the Add Approver, Add Watcher, or Add Comments links on the Approval Graph. Even if she adds herself onto a specific eGC1 with R/W access, she still can’t change the graph.
A reviewer for the Org Code Receiving Funding or the PI Units can still add an approver/watcher/comments to the approval graph. Owners can also add nodes to the graph. Where necessary, the ORIS Help Desk staff can imitate an application owner to add reviewers.
Providing a fix to the Global Role will be considered for a future SAGE project.
To view the basic information about authorizations, see Accessing SAGE.
SAGE uses your UW NetID to authenticate your access the system.
Your ASTRA Roles define the operations that you may perform, based on your responsibilities within an organization. You may visit the View My Authorizations page to see your current ASTRA roles. If you try to log in to SAGE without a SAGE ASTRA role, a page will display the authorizers you may contact to request access.
Some ASTRA roles have limits that identify the administrative or academic unit in which a person has access (such as a specific department). SAGE uses Organization Codes to identify specific units.
The combination of your roles and limits define what operations you can perform within SAGE.
SAGE ASTRA Roles for Access and Authorization
Preparers and Editors
- Proposal Preparer
- Global Edit
- Subaward Preparer
The Proposal Preparer role is generally for the research administration staff who prepare and submit eGC1 forms for review and approval, on behalf of a PI. This role is not limited by Organization Code.
The Global Edit role is for people who need to access items which they did not prepare, or to which they have not been assigned access. This role is limited by Organization Code. It is assigned primarily to preparers who are new to a unit and need to access historical items, and to reviewers who need to be able to edit items in addition to approving/watching them. With this role, you access items through the Approvals tab rather than the eGC1 Forms tab.
The Subaward Preparer role is for those who prepare and submit subaward and subaward modification requests to OSP. This role is not limited by Organization Code.
Note: Anyone with an authorized role can create an eGC1 or Budget. However, individuals that have the SAGE Read-Only role may experience some known role conflicts when preparing eGC1s.
- Principal Investigator
- Non-PI Eligible Researcher
- Researcher Requiring Faculty Sponsor
A person must have the Principal Investigator role to be selected as the PI on a grant application or contract. Each school or college determines the rules for who may be a PI. The PI may be a faculty member, research scientist, or professional staff member.
The PI on an eGC1 can edit that eGC1.
The Non-PI Eligible Researcher and the Researcher Requiring Faculty Sponsor roles provide basic access in SAGE.
Reviewers: Business Units
- Division Reviewer
- Department or Center Reviewer
- Dean’s Reviewer
- Intellectual Property and Technology Transfer (CoMotion)
- Bothell Grants
- Program Director (Bothell)
- Vice Chancellor Academic Affairs (Bothell, Tacoma)
- Vice Chancellor Administrative Services (Bothell, Tacoma)
Individuals assigned to these roles will automatically receive email notifications when it is time for them to approve or watch the routing application. The roles are limited by Organization Code. Reviewers may add other approvers/watchers to the approval graph either by role or as a specific individual.
Reviewers: Compliance Office
- Animal Care
- CHDD (Center on Human Development and Disability)
- EH&S BioSafety
- EH&S Diving
- EH&S Fire Code Compliance
- EH&S Radiation Safety
- EH&S Select Agents
- EH&S Waste Management
- Human Subjects
- Primate Center
- Security Reviewer
- SFI Reviewer
Individuals assigned to these roles will automatically receive email notifications when it is time for them to approve or watch the routing application. These roles are not limited by Organization Code. Reviewers may add other approvers/watchers to the approval graph either by role or as a specific individual.
The SAGE Read-Only role provides read-only access to previously routed and routing eGC1s, per Org Code. It does not work well with the Preparer role. Therefore, authorize this role for previewing eGC1s only.
OSP (Office of Sponsored Programs) authorizes the SPAERC Read-Only role. It allows staff in central offices to access SPAERC (the web-based system used by OSP staff to review, approve, and administer funding proposals and document awarded funding). Training is required.
These roles may display in historical data. They also may be added as ad-hoc approvers or watchers.
Preparers and Contacts within SAGE
The following roles are assigned in SAGE, and not in ASTRA. The people in these roles may be contacted by approvers during the review process and by OSP and/or GCA staff following the awarding of funds. Along with the PI, they may receive email notifications and may assign access to others. They may edit eGC1s and/or budgets, and can update the contacts and preparers in SAGE.
- Administrative Contact – assigned by an owner
- Pre-Award Budget Contact – assigned by an owner
- eGC1 Preparer – the person who creates an eGC1 is automatically assigned this role
- Budget Preparer – the person who creates a SAGE Budget is automatically assigned this role