Office of the President
Please join me in celebrating the outstanding achievements of our faculty, staff, students and alumni at the 43rd Annual Awards of Excellence.
Meany Hall Auditorium
- 3:30 p.m. Awards Ceremony
- 4:30 p.m. Reception with light refreshments
Reservations are not required.
The Awards of Excellence ceremony honors members of the UW community who exemplify the University’s values with special distinction. While the first ceremony was held in 1970, the origins of these awards date back to 1938, when the Alumnus Summa Laude Dignatus Award was first presented. Since that time, other awards have been added to pay tribute to individuals from across our UW community who have demonstrated exceptional talents, dedication and service.
To read more about these awards and their history, visit the Honors & Awards site.
2013 UW Awards of Excellence Recipients
Distinguished Staff Award
Given to staff who contribute to the mission of their unit and the University, respond creatively to challenges, maintain the highest standards in their work, establish productive working relationships and promote a respectful and supportive workplace.
- Sarah Jackins, Exercise Training Center, UWMC
- Carol Kummet, Palliative Care Social Work, UWMC
- Robert Lubin, Housing & Food Services
- James Cobb, Dale A. Hubler, Brian McNally, Roy Obenchain, Alexander Safir, Skylar Thompson, Charles Winston and Elizabeth Young, Genome Sciences Tech Team
- Mira M. Emmanuel-Ogier, Harald S. Haugen, Ting Hong, Lara S. Kidoguchi, Meighan L. Krows, Susan A. Morrison, Dana Panteleeff and Katherine K. Thomas, Partners PrEP Study Team, Global Health
David B. Thorud Leadership Award
Given to one UW faculty member and one staff member who have demonstrated exceptional abilities to lead, serve, inspire and collaborate with broad impact.
- Faculty Award, Nancy B. Alarcon, Speech & Hearing Sciences
- Staff Award, Susan Terry, UW Career Center
Distinguished Librarian Award
Recognizes excellence in librarianship, especially as it benefits the academic community through teaching, research, learning and innovative approaches to practice.
- Glenda J. Pearson, Microform and Newspaper Collections, University Libraries
Alumni Association Distinguished Service Award
Given to individuals who make outstanding efforts on behalf of the UW Alumni Association and the University.
- Bryan Pearce (Awarded Posthumously)
Distinguished Retiree Excellence in Community Service Award
Given to a faculty member or staff retiree for the quality of the individual’s contributions, subsequent to retirement, in service to the community locally, regionally, nationally or internationally.
- Richard Simkins, UAA Advising
Distinguished Teaching Award
Presented to faculty who show a mastery of their subject matter, intellectual rigor and a passion for teaching.
- Holly Barker, Anthropology
- John Byron Manchak, Philosophy
- Jim Pfaendtner, Chemical Engineering
- André Punt, Aquatic and Fishery Sciences
- Phillip Thurtle, Comparative History of Ideas
- Ronald L. Tilden, Business, UW Bothell
- Carolyn M. West, Interdisciplinary Arts and Sciences, UW Tacoma
Excellence in Teaching Award
Given to graduate teaching assistants who demonstrate outstanding skills in the classroom.
- Deepa Bhandaru, Political Science
- Chi Hou Lei, Mechanical Engineering
Distinguished Contributions to Lifelong Learning Award
Presented to faculty who have taught for at least two years in non-degree programs sponsored by the UW and aimed at adults who are pursuing professional development, personal interest or career redirection.
- James B. DeLong, Social Work
S. Sterling Munro Public Service Teaching Award
Recognizes a faculty member who has demonstrated exemplary leadership in community-based instruction, including service learning, public service internships and community partnership projects.
- Eleanor Bond, Biobehavioral Nursing and Health Systems
University Faculty Lecture Award
Honors current or emeriti faculty whose research, scholarship or art is widely recognized by their peers and whose achievements have had a substantial impact on their profession.
- Stephen Gloyd, Global Health and Health Services
Marsha L. Landolt Distinguished Graduate Mentor Award
Recognizes faculty members who have made outstanding contributions to the education and guidance of graduate students.
- Fred Rieke, Physiology and Biophysics
Outstanding Public Service Award
Presented to a faculty or staff member to honor extensive local and/or national and international service.
- Katherine Beckett, Sociology and Law, Societies & Justice
Distinguished Alumni Veteran Award
Bestowed on a veteran graduate who has made a positive impact through community service and civic engagement.
- Rear Adm. Herbert Bridge, USN, Ret., ’47
Awarded to two graduating seniors who have achieved the most distinguished academic records at the University—one to a student who has completed at least three-fourths of his or her degree requirements at the UW and one to a student who entered the University from a Washington community college.
- Bethanny Danskin
- Michelle Drews
Alumnus Summa Laude Dignatus Award
Awarded to a former UW student whose lifetime achievements have earned him or her national or international prominence.
- William H. Gates, ’50