Trademarks & Licensing

Student organizations

Use of a University mark by an organization implies association with the University. Therefore, only Registered Student Organizations (RSOs) and official campus departments or groups are allowed to use UW trademarks in conjunction with their organization’s name. These approved users may not assign trademark usage rights, or otherwise grant permission, to any other internal or external entity for any purpose without prior review and approval by the UW Trademarks & Licensing office (UWTLO).

Use of the University name

A registered student organization or sport club team may use the University name in its title, publications or letterhead to show its status as a registered student organization at UW, but may not use the name in a manner as to create confusion between it as an organization and the University itself, nor in a manner that would in any way constitute an endorsement, approval or underwriting of any organization, product, activity, service or contract by the University of Washington.

Proper order:

The University’s name should not come before the name of the student organization.


  • ABC Club at the University of Washington
  • ABC Club at UW
  • ABC Club – UW Chapter

Not permissible:

  • University of Washington ABC Club
  • UW ABC Club
  • ABC Club of the University of Washington – In this case, “of” makes it appear as if the club was endorsed by the UW.

Guide for student organizations

This handy guide summarizes how registered student organizations can use UW trademarks properly.

Download Guide

Use of University marks

RSOs or club teams may not use the University seal or logos as part of its organization’s logo or on letterheads, business cards, or other identifying materials. A RSO or club team may, however, utilize select University marks as part of its uniform, provided the item is not issued or made available by sale or otherwise to anyone other than team members. RSO or club team name must be on the uniform. Registered student organizations may receive permission to utilize a University mark for special use, such as a commemorative item that is for members’ use only. Contact the UWTLO for review of such proposed use.

Should an item bearing the registered marks of the University be sold to anyone other than the membership of a registered student organization or sports club team, it becomes a commercial use of the mark.

For example, if the ABC Club at UW decides to use the marks of the University on its uniform, it may do so only subject to approval by the UWTLO. If the club decides to sell a t-shirt bearing University marks as a fund-raiser, the manufacturer of the item must be a UW licensee and pay royalties.

The UWTLO must approve all artwork and designs, as well as the quality of the product prior to its distribution. Please email with all proposed designs and any questions. View the list of companies which are licensed to produce merchandise for RSOs and University departments.

Assignment of trademark rights

Registered student organizations and sports club teams may not assign trademark usage rights, or otherwise grant permission, to any other internal or external entity for any purpose without prior review and approval by the UWTLO.

Use of sponsors on RSO merchandise

Any merchandise featuring the University name or trademarks, including but not limited to uniforms, jerseys, banners, apparel and non-apparel items (cups, mugs, pens, notebooks, et.c) must be approved by the UWTLO. The design can be emailed to once the RSO has received it from the licensee that is creating the design or the licensee can submit it directly. Any sponsor logos that are included on the merchandise must be submitted as part of the artwork.