Trademarks & Licensing

Licensing agreements

Any person, business or organization desiring to use University of Washington trademarks in any manner and for any purpose must be licensed to do so.  The University has contracted with CLC to issue licenses on its behalf.  There are several types of licensing agreements:

  1. Standard and local licensing agreements for the production of emblematic merchandise to be sold by an individual or company at retail.
  2. Restricted licensing agreements for the production of emblematic merchandise for use by a campus organization or department.
  3. Promotional use agreements covering the use of marks for an approved limited-duration commercial use.

Licensing terms

The terms of a domestic trademark license agreement with the University typically include an application fee, an annual administration fee, advance royalty fees (varies), cost of obtaining Product Liability Insurance, marketing costs, product development, membership dues in the Fair Labor Association and a royalty rate on the wholesale price of the goods.  Furthermore, licensees are required to submit product samples and designs for approval prior to production of the goods.

Licensing process

Learn more about the requirements of the CLC licensing process and/or submit an application:

  • CLC review: After the required paperwork is submitted to CLC (including any needed insurance information, marketing plans, etc.), the potential licensee and company information is sent to the University for review and approval. CLC will also forward any samples of product for the University to review production quality, and all relevant information to assist the University in the decision-making process.
  • University review: The University will then review the company information, the product and its quality, and make a decision on whether or not to approve the company as a licensee. The approval process may include all or some individuals from the licensing agent, the UWTLO (University Trademarks & Licensing Office) and other parties as appropriate.
  • Decision notification: Approval (or disapproval) of the licensee by the University will be sent to CLC, who will notify the potential licensee of the decision. Once approval has been granted, the licensee may proceed with submitting products/artwork for approval.

International licenses

The University has trademark licensing programs in many countries outside of the United States. Those companies interested in licensing internationally should contact Olin Arnold at the CLC,