The president and provost have allocated significant funds to support initiatives that enable the Office for Faculty Advancement (OFA) to work collaboratively with deans, chancellors and department chairs or directors to build and retain a diverse and inclusive faculty across the three campuses of the University of Washington.
Funds totaling $500,000 are available to contribute to the efforts of a college, school, or campus to retain talented faculty whose research, teaching, mentoring, service, and/or outreach assists the university in meeting its goals for diversity, inclusion, equity, and equal opportunity.
It is important to note that the focus of diversity, equity, and inclusion is not on the demographic background of faculty but on the intellectual direction of their work and that work’s proven or potential impact. It is also important to note that these funds are intended primarily to assist with the retention of tenure-track and tenured faculty.
One-time funds may be requested for a specified number of years on a cost-sharing basis with units, colleges, schools, and/or campuses. Funds may be used for purposes including but not limited to summer salary support or supplemental research support (including research assistance support, staff support, professional travel, supplies and equipment, publication support, etc.). These funds cannot be used for regular salary.
All requests for support from the Faculty Retention Initiative should be made during the retention negotiation process and sent to Chadwick Allen, Associate Vice Provost for Faculty Advancement, at email@example.com.
Requests should be sent as an email and/or email attachment and should include:
- Completed retention support form (PDF);
- Brief written case for how the colleague enhances the unit’s diversity profile;
- Brief written case for the need for retention efforts (e.g., an existing or potential competitive outside offer);
- Outline of the full terms of the retention package—unit contribution; college, school, or campus contribution; and what is being requested from Faculty Advancement.
- Copy of the faculty member’s curriculum vitae;
- Any other relevant supporting documentation (e.g., outside letters of offer, terms of any prior retention offers, etc.).
Contact Professor Allen or the Office for Faculty Advancement with any questions.