Chadwick Allen, Ph.D.
- Associate Vice Provost for Faculty Advancement
Norma E. Rodriguez, Ph.D.
- Director, Office for Faculty Advancement
The Office for Faculty Advancement (OFA) promotes the hiring, retention, and success of a diverse and inclusive faculty at the University of Washington. Associate Vice Provost Chadwick Allen works closely with the Office of the Provost and the Office of Minority Affairs and Diversity to implement recruitment and retention goals articulated in the university-wide Diversity Blueprint and to support recent provisions of the Faculty Code that recognize excellence in research, teaching, and service that promotes diversity and equal opportunity.
The Associate Vice Provost regularly consults with deans, department chairs and directors, and other academic leaders across the three campuses of the UW in order to disseminate best practices for conducting inclusive faculty searches and for fostering supportive collegial environments. He is also available to consult with academic units, search committees, and individual faculty.
The Office for Faculty Advancement supports a range of major programs:
- Handbook of Best Practices for Faculty Searches and Online Toolkit – a concise Handbook divided into six steps of the search process, supported by an expansive Toolkit of sample materials and additional resources.
- Faculty Recruitment Initiative – funds provided by the Office of the Provost to enrich competitive recruitment offers for new hires that will enhance a unit’s diversity profile in research, teaching, service, and/or outreach.
- Faculty Retention Initiative – funds provided by the Office of the Provost to enrich critical retention efforts for colleagues whose research, teaching, service, and/or outreach assists the university in meeting its goals for diversity and inclusion.
- Greater Washington State Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (GWS HERC) – our regional chapter of a national organization focused on increasing access to talented and diverse applicant pools and improving collaborations in cases of dual-career hiring; established at the UW in October 2013.
- Faculty Advancement Initiative (FAI) – promotes collaborations with colleges, schools, campuses, and individual units to advance the careers of faculty and to promote ongoing training in diversity/inclusion and faculty advancement for university leadership.
- UW institutional membership with the National Center for Faculty Development and Diversity (NCFDD) – an external mentoring resource for faculty, post-docs, and graduate students that includes access to online courses, monthly writing challenges, and a webinar curriculum.
All OFA programming aims to provide campus, college, school, and unit leadership with the tools and resources necessary to enhance excellence through diversity and to build and retain a more inclusive faculty.