Search | Directories | Reference Tools
UW Home > Discover UW 

Frequently Asked Questions at the UW

This page is designed to help you find answers to the most frequently asked questions about the UW, including applying to the UW. Please make use of these links for the fastest service.

How to Apply to the UW

If you want to apply to the UW, or if you have questions about admissions requirements, fees, financial aid, or the transfer process, please contact the following resources directly:
How can I apply to be an undergraduate student at the UW?
Apply to the UW - Application form.
Undergraduate Admissions - Web site for prospective freshmen, transfer, international, and postbaccalaureate students.
How can I apply to be a graduate student at the UW?
Contact Information for the Graduate School - Email and phone numbers.
Graduate School - Web site for prospective graduate students.
How can I apply to be an Extension student at the UW?
Contact Information for Educational Outreach
Educational Outreach - Extension, Online Learning, Summer Quarter, English Language, Continuing Education, Evening Degree, K12 Resources.
Where can I find the General Catalog?
The General Catalog is available on the Web, and contains course descriptions.

Directory Information

How do I contact the UW by phone?
The campus operator is at 206-543-2100. Also check commonly used phone numbers and emails
How do I contact the UW by postal mail?
There is no single address for the UW, due to its large size, so each department has its own postal address.
Addressing Letters to the UW - How to find a postal address.
Email the Visitor's Center - The Visitor's Center will help you find a postal address.
How do I find people at the UW?
Faculty, staff, and students are in the People Directory.
How can a faculty or staff member correct the listing in the People Directory?
You can update your address information online with Employee Self-Service (ESS).
Where can I find department information at the UW?
The Office Directory contains phone numbers, email addresses, and box numbers.

Calendars and Events

When do classes meet?
The Academic Calendar has the dates of classes for each quarter, finals week, commencement, and more.
When is spring break?
Spring break starts after winter quarter and ends with spring quarter. The Academic Calendar Summary shows these dates.
Where can I find event listings?
Event listings and calendars are found on the UW Events site.

Housing at the UW

Where can I find information about on-campus housing?
On-campus housing includes residence halls, single-student apartments, family housing, and campus dining information.
Where can I find off-campus housing?
There are a few places with off-campus housing listings:

UW Transcripts

How can I order my UW Transcript?
Instructions on how to order a UW transcript by mail or in person.

Campus Maps and the Bookstore

Where can I find directions to the UW Campus?
Directions to Various Campus Locations has driving directions.
How do I find the UW campus in Mapquest?
Use 98195 to find the UW Campus Map.
Where can I find a UW Campus map?
Seattle Campus maps include general campus maps, a map of libraries, driving directions, a parking map, and more.
Where can I find the University Book Store?
The University Book Store carries general books, professional and technical reference books, children's books, mugs, Husky gear, and more.

Web Publishing

Where can I publish my teaching materials, research results, departmental information, or other documents on the Web?
See Creating and Publishing Web Pages at the UW. Some departments and other organizations maintain their own web server.
How can I add a departmental web page to the Departments list?
Requirements for requesting a link to the Departments page.
Where can I find the UW Seal and Logos?
Trademarks and Licensing has information about the UW seal and logos, and how they can be used.
Where did the photographs on the UW Home Page come from?
Many of the photographic images you find on the University of Washington home page were taken by University Photography, a unit of the Office of News and Information. If you want to use these images on your web page, or if you want either digital or printed versions of these images, please contact the Office of News and Information, 206-543-2580, email:, or by mail at Box 351207, Seattle, WA 98195.
How do I create documents for the UW Home Page?
Guidelines for Publishing on the UW Web Site provides guidelines for developing administrative Web pages with the standard look and feel of the UW Home page. These standards were developed by the Webguides, a group of people who coordinate and work with the many people across campus involved in designing and maintaining sites on
How do I request a banner on the UWIN page for my department?
Requesting a Banner on the UWIN page contains instructions and contact information for requesting a banner.
How do I request that a news item be published on the UW home page?
The Office of News and Information publishes the news and announcements on the UW home page. Email them at: