Professional Staff Organization

October 14, 2021

Husky Leadership Initiative: Call for Husky Leadership Certificate 2022 Mentors

On behalf of our campus partners in the Husky Leadership Initiative, the PSO would like to share the call for Husky Leadership Certificate Mentors:

The Husky Leadership Initiative is currently seeking mentors for the 2022 Husky Leadership Certificate Program. We’d love to have you join us!

“I enjoyed the connection with a student who I would not meet in any other setting and getting to know what his interests are, how he views his Husky Experience. It helped me to think about my role as a mentor, a supervisor, and a member of the UW community.” –Former HLC Mentor

Are you interested in engaging with students and supporting them as they reflect on their own leadership development? Consider becoming a Husky Leadership Certificate Mentor! The Husky Leadership Initiative is currently seeking at least UW faculty, staff, and community members to serve as mentors for the 2021-2022 Husky Leadership Certificate (HLC) cohort. The goal of the Husky Leadership Certificate is to engage students in a process of critical reflection on their leadership development and accomplishments.

As a mentor, you will be matched with a current UW student (junior or senior) and will remotely support them as they create an online leadership portfolio from January 2022 through May 2022. Through the creation of the e-portfolio, students will articulate and demonstrate their leadership learning and development, while reflecting upon their various curricular and co-curricular experiences. Feedback from former Husky Leadership Certificate students highlight the great value and positive impact of the mentoring relationship.

“The mentorship component was a highlight of my HLC experience.  My mentor really helped me grow in a lot of areas in not only my leadership development but also in my professional development and how to best present my leadership experiences to potential employers.”

“My mentor was so supportive in helping me find study abroad programs, making sense out of my leadership experiences and checking in with me even during the quarantine.”  –Former HLC Mentees

For more information about the Husky Leadership Certificate program, please visit our website. To serve as a mentor, please submit the HLC mentor interest form by 11:59PM on Monday, October 25.  If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at uwhlc@uw.edu. We will follow up in November about our new mentor orientation and in December about our mentor/mentee matching process.