Deans are responsible to the provost for all matters relating to the educational, budgetary and administrative affairs of their units. Deans are charged with providing the vision and leadership needed for their college or school to excel and to advance the University’s teaching, research and service missions.
- Deans advance the University’s vision and goals through the creation of a strategic academic business plan and future initiatives.
- Deans nurture, facilitate growth and development, and set and uphold high standards for faculty, staff and students.
- Deans create a positive work and learning environment within their college or school.
- Deans advocate to the provost and/or president for the interests of their college or school.
- Deans lead the educational, research, scholarly and public engagement activities of their college or school through planning, implementation and evaluation initiatives that ensure success, relevancy and sustainability.
- Deans advocate on behalf of students and create initiatives to increase the diversity of the student body.
- Deans are expected to actively participate in the 10-year program reviews conducted by the Graduate School and Undergraduate Academic Affairs.
- If the college or school contains accredited programs, deans lead compliance with accreditation standards.
Deans represent their colleges or schools to external constituencies and audiences.
- Deans mentor leaders of their academic units and programs.
- Deans are responsible for recruitment, appointment and retention of academic administrators, faculty and staff for their college or school.
- Deans create hiring plans for their college or school and participate in the recruiting and hiring process for faculty and staff.
- Deans participate in the review of each faculty application for promotion/tenure and provide recommendations to the provost.
- Deans ensure meaningful performance evaluations of faculty and staff are regularly conducted.
- Deans review and retain documentation of merit salary adjustment recommendations of their college or school faculty and provide recommendations to the provost.
- Deans are responsible for the effective management of the financial resources of their college or school.
- Deans develop and implement strategies for providing competitive salaries to faculty and staff which includes planning with the elected faculty council and executive leadership for the use of the tools available in the Faculty Salary Policy.
- Deans develop capital and minor repair budget proposals for their college or school and ensure the effective management of allocated resources.
- Deans enhance a culture of collaboration within their units to include meaningful engagement with faculty, staff and student governance councils and committees.
- Deans ensure that their college or school adheres to University policies and procedures.
- Deans manage the allocation of space within the facilities assigned by the provost for the use of their college or school. Deans enhance a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion within their college or school.
Engagement with faculty, staff and students
- Deans conduct regular and meaningful consultation, dialogue and engagement with faculty, students, and staff.
Engagement with alumni, donors and external community
- Deans engage with external stakeholders including alumni, donors, employers of graduates, and interested community organizations to solicit external input regarding the impact of their college or school.
- Deans develop and implement fundraising strategies to obtain needed philanthropic support for college or school initiatives.
- Deans engage stakeholders in meaningful interactions with the college or school that foster pride, advocacy and private support.
- Deans enhance the stature and professional standing of their college or school among peers and relevant constituencies.
Engagement with the UW community beyond the unit
- Deans actively participate in the Board of Deans and Chancellors meetings and other activities to provide advice to the provost.
- Deans lead and participate on University committees to support University requirements and advance the University’s vision and goals.
- Deans participate in numerous University events as the representative of their college or school.
- Deans collaborate with other academic leaders to advance University-wide and interdisciplinary initiatives.