Skip to content
Parents & Families

Forms, releases, and accounts

New data security requirement for students

All students will be required to use two-factor authentication (2FA) with Duo for their UW NetID sign-ins. Duo — typically Duo Mobile, and on the student’s smartphone — adds data security beyond the student’s UW NetID password. When the student uses 2FA, it protects their personal information, their work and data in UW systems and apps. Note: Students are strongly encouraged to get Duo and opt in to 2FA before Nov. 2. Students will not be able to register for winter quarter without 2FA.

Parent notification and student privacy

 FERPA for parents and families

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), is a federal law that governs the use of, and limits access to student educational records. Students have full access to their academic records by logging into their MyUW account, but access is limited or restricted to others. Each office has an individual process to authorize users to view student information.

For parents and families interested in learning more about access to their student’s financial, health, housing and dining records, please review the following information with your student.

Academic records

Students can access their grades and academic information by logging on to For more information, visit the Office of the University Registrar’s website. Students may also do this online by completing the Release of Records Request form.

Tuition, fees and financial aid

Students and families paying tuition and fees or looking for tuition statements or 1098-T tax forms, please visit the Office of Student Fiscal Services

Students and families seeking information regarding financial aid eligibility and award process, applications, Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and Washington Application for State Financial Aid (WASFA), please visit the Office of Student Financial Aid

Authorizing users

Students will need to fill out an Information Release Authorization to authorize parents and families to access their UW tuition billing and financial aid accounts. Students may authorize access up to five individuals to receive billing and financial aid information via online, phone and in-person. Please be advised that this information will need to be updated each year.

When students grant access to financial information, an email will be sent to newly authorized users with instructions for accessing the information. In order for authorized users to access student account information, they will need to know the student’s 7-digit ID number. Authorized users will have access to a modified version of the student’s MyUW page, including the online tuition bill, and their own password. These authorized users will receive email alerts when the online tuition statement is ready for viewing.

Once your student completes the information release form, you will be able to access their tuition statement through the Parent and family login.

For additional questions on tuition payments, please contact the Student Fiscal Services team 206-543-4694 or

Financial Aid forms

Tuition forms

Housing and dining accounts

Authorizing users

Students need to log onto their MyHFS account (NetID required) and provide access for up to two individuals to view their account information. This authorization allows individuals to log in to their student’s housing statement to review charges make changes and payments to the student’s housing and dining accounts.

Make a payment

Whether or not your are authorized on your student’s account, you may make payments via the HFS Parents and families payment page.


All communications regarding housing are emailed directly to students via their UW email accounts. Authorized users will receive an email when billing notifications are sent to students.


Contact our Student Services Office at or 206-543-4059 if you have any questions related to on on-campus housing and dining.

Hall Health Center

Releasing medical information to parents

Students have the ability to authorize individuals to access all or specific parts of their medical record.

Forms parents must sign for minor students

If your student is under the age of 18 at beginning of their first year, a parent or guardian must provide consent, along with signing a financial agreement and privacy practices statement, for your student to receive health care from Hall Health/UW Medicine.

Health insurance

All new students and their families should complete this insurance checklist and worksheet to learn about their benefits and network of providers. Families who do not have insurance coverage in Washington State can learn about how to apply for insurance here.

Additional authorizations

For a complete list of medical forms, please visit the Husky Health & Well-being Website, call 206-685-1011 or email

UW Counseling Center

The UW Counseling Center is staffed by psychologists and mental health counselors who provide brief developmentally-based counseling and crisis intervention services to currently-enrolled UW students. There is no charge for most counseling services. In addition, the Counseling Center provides consultation to faculty, staff, or parents who may be concerned about a student’s well-being.

Authorizing Users

While visiting the Counseling Center students may choose to authorize individuals, using the Release of Information Form, to access their records or talk with their counselor. Students must fill out the form in person at the Counseling Center.

Additional information relating to student counseling services is available from: UW Counseling Center 401 Schmitz Hall, Box 355830, Seattle, WA 98195 Phone: 206-543-1240