Corporate & Foundation Relations

Whether to apply as the UW or UW Foundation

The University of Washington and the UW Foundation are separate legal entities with different Employee Identification Numbers (EINs) and IRS classifications. It is important to know which entity to use on your proposal and to make sure all supporting documents are consistent with the applicant entity used.

To find out which entity to use, read the funder’s request for proposals (RFP) and look at the funder’s qualification rules. In general, use the UW as the applicant. If the funder requires a 501(c)(3) for submission, use the UW Foundation, which is a nonprofit, public 501(c)(3) organization, as described in IRS sections 509(a)(1) and 170(b)(1)(A)(vi). Questions? Contact Michelle Barnett.

Funders that require a 501(c)(3)

These funders require a 501(c)(3), which means you need to apply for funding as the UW Foundation. This is not an exhaustive list.

  • Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
  • Paul G. Allen Family Foundation
  • Pew Charitable Trusts
  • Doris Duke Charitable Foundation
  • Walton Family Foundation
  • Washington Women’s Foundation
  • Greenwall Foundation
  • Nellie Mae Education Foundation
  • Bullitt Foundation
  • Disney Conservation Fund
  • Raikes Foundation
  • Garneau Nicon
  • W. M. Keck Foundation