Undergraduate Academic Affairs

September 22, 2015

Transfer students realize their dreams, thanks to Martin Family Foundation

Undergraduate Academic Affairs

“When someone trusts you and your ability even when you yourself do not, it is a tremendous, lifelong gift. The Martin Scholarship helped me to walk tall and to know I was worthy of more than where life and I had placed myself.”

—Loyce Ong-udi

For 20 years, the Martin Family Foundation has supported students transferring to the University of Washington from Washington state community colleges. Martin Scholars cite not just the financial help in supporting their dreams of a college education, but also the encouragement that came with the recognition.

This publication highlights the impact of the Martin Family Foundation scholarships, through data points like the 98% Martin Scholar graduation rate, and through the scholars’ own words.

“The Martin Family Foundation scholarship is a blessing to transfer students,” says Chris Garrido-Philip, a 2007 Martin Achievement Scholar. “Receiving the award supported me not only in a financial way, but by giving me the confidence that I could do more than I thought I ever could.”

Over the years, the Martin Family Foundation formed an alliance with UAA’s Office of Merit Scholarships, Fellowships & Awards to help identify potential Martin Scholars and to administer the scholarships.