Authorization Overview for ASTRA Administrators
To view the basic information for authorizations, see SAGE Access and Roles.
SAGE is a secure application requiring authorized access based on roles. SAGE authorization data is managed by ASTRA (Access to Systems, Tools, Resources and Applications).
- Authorization is the granting of official permission to access specific systems such as SAGE (Budgets, eGC1s, Approvals, Advances) and SPÆRC (OSP's internal office system). Users may visit the ASTRA page to determine who can authorize them to use SAGE.
- Authentication confirms you are who you say you are. We use UW NetID for authentication.
- ASTRA Roles define the operations that may be performed. People are assigned roles based on their responsibilities within an organization. You may visit the My Authorizations page to see your current ASTRA roles. If people try to log in to SAGE without a SAGE ASTRA role, a page will display the authorizers they may contact to request access.
- Limits identify the administrative or academic unit in which a person has access (i.e. specific department). SAGE uses Organization Codes to identify specific units.
The combination of authentication, authorization, roles and limits define what operations an individual can perform with the system to which they have access.
SAGE ASTRA Roles for Access and Authorization
- Preparers and Editors
- Reviewers: Business Units
- Reviewers: Compliance Offices
- Read-Only Access
- Historical Roles
- Preparers and Contacts within SAGE
- Proposal Preparer
- Global Edit
- Non-PI Eligible Researcher
- Researcher Requiring Faculty Sponsor
The Proposal Preparer role is generally given to the research administration staff person who prepares and submits eGC1 forms for review and approval, on behalf of a PI. This role is not limited by Organization Code.
The Global Edit role is given to people who need to access items which they did not prepare, or to which they have not been assigned access. This role is limited by Organization Code. This is assigned primarily to preparers who are new to a unit and need to access historical items, and to reviewers who need to be able to edit items in addition to approving/watching them. Items are accessed through the My Approvals list rather than the My eGC1s list.
Note: Anyone with an authorized role can create an eGC1 or Budget. However, it is advised that individuals with the SAGE Read Only role, not prepare eGC1s because of known conflicts with the act of preparing an eGC1.
Role: Principal Investigator
A person with this role can be named as a PI on a grant application or contract. Each school or college determines the rules for who may be given this role. The PI may be a faculty member, research scientist, or professional staff member.
- Division Reviewer
- Department or Center Reviewer
- Dean’s Reviewer
- Bothell Grants
- Program Director (Bothell)
- VC Acad Affairs (Vice Chancellor of Academic Affairs - Tacoma)
- VC Admin (Tacoma)
Individuals assigned to these roles will automatically receive email notifications when it is time for them to approve or watch the routing application. The roles are limited by Organization Code. Reviewers may add other approvers/watchers to the approval graph either by role or as a specific individual.
- Animal Care
- CHDD (Center on Human Development and Disability)
- EH&S BioSafety
- EH&S Diving
- EH&S Fire Code Compliance
- EH&S Radiation Safety
- EH&S Select Agents
- EH&S Waste Management
- Human Subjects
- Primate Center
- Security Reviewer
- UW Center for Commercialization
Individuals assigned to these roles will automatically receive email notifications when it is time for them to approve or watch the routing application. These roles are not limited by Organization Code. Reviewers may add other approvers/watchers to the approval graph either by role or as a specific individual.
The SAGE Read-Only role provides read-only access to previously routed and routing eGC1s, per Org Code. It does not work well with the Preparer role. Therefore, authorize this role for previewing eGC1s only.
The SPAERC Read-Only role is authorized by OSP (Office of Sponsored Programs) and is generally given to staff in central offices to provide access to SPAERC (the web-based system used by OSP staff to review, approve, and administer funding proposals and document awarded funding). Training is required.
These roles may be displayed in historical data. They also may be added as ad-hoc approvers or watchers.
- Tacoma Grants
The following roles are assigned in SAGE, and not in ASTRA. The people in these roles may be contacted by approvers during the review process and by OSP and/or GCA staff following the awarding of funds. Along with the PI, they may receive email notifications and may assign access to others. They may edit eGC1s and/or budgets, and can update the contacts and preparers in SAGE.
- Administrative Contact – is assigned by an owner
- Pre-Award Budget Contact – is assigned by an owner
- eGC1 Preparer – the person who creates an eGC1 is automatically assigned this role
- Budget Preparer – the person who creates a SAGE Budget is automatically assigned this role