Please join me in celebrating the outstanding achievements of our faculty, staff, students and alumni at the 42nd Annual Awards of Excellence.
Thursday, June 7, 2012
Meany Hall Auditorium
3:30 p.m. Awards Ceremony
4:30 p.m. Reception
Reservations are not required.
The Awards of Excellence ceremony honors members of the UW community who exemplify the University’s values with special distinction. While the first ceremony was held in 1970, the origins of these awards date back to 1938, when the Alumnus Summa Laude Dignatus Award was first presented. Since that time, other awards have been added to pay tribute to individuals from across our UW community who have demonstrated exceptional talents, dedication and service.
To read more about these awards and their history, visit the Honors & Awards site.
2012 UW Awards of Excellence Recipients
Distinguished Staff Award
Given to staff who contribute to the mission of their unit and the University, respond creatively to challenges, maintain the highest standards in their work, establish productive working relationships and promote a respectful and supportive workplace.
- Billy H. Colburn, Psychiatry, HMC
- Deborah Harper, Center for Studies in Demography and Ecology
- Freddie A. Tapuro, Campus Engineering and Operations
- Julie Jothen Valley, Radiation Oncology
- Holly Broadbent-Horvat, Karin Huster, Patricia A. McElveny, Jodie Prescottand JoAnn Rodger, Trauma Surgical ICU Quiet Time Group
David B. Thorud Leadership Award
Given to one UW faculty member and one staff member who have demonstrated exceptional abilities to lead, serve, inspire and collaborate with broad impact.
- Faculty Award, Alex Cahana, Anesthesiology & Pain Medicine
- Staff Award, Joyce Yen, Engineering
Distinguished Librarian Award
Recognizes excellence in librarianship, especially as it benefits the academic community through teaching, research, learning and innovative approaches to practice.
- Timothy D. Jewell, Information Resources and Scholarly Communication, Libraries
Alumni Association Distinguished Service Award
Given to individuals who make outstanding efforts on behalf of the UW Alumni Association and the University.
- Frazer Cook, ’65
Distinguished Retiree Excellence in Community Service Award
Given to a faculty member or staff retiree for the quality of the individual’s contributions, subsequent to retirement, in service to the community locally, regionally, nationally or internationally.
- Nancy Amidei, Social Work
Distinguished Teaching Award
Presented to faculty who show a mastery of their subject matter, intellectual rigor and a passion for teaching.
- Leslie Ashbaugh, Interdisciplinary Arts and Sciences, UW Bothell
- Jeffrey W. Berman, Civil & Environmental Engineering
- Sarah Elwood, Geography
- Hugh M. Foy, Surgery
- Maria Elena Garcia, Comparative History of Ideas and Jackson School of International Studies
- Andrew D. Loveless, Mathematics
- Christine A. Stevens, Nursing, UW Tacoma
Excellence in Teaching Award
Given to graduate teaching assistants who demonstrate outstanding skills in the classroom.
- Michael Bowman, Educational Leadership & Policy Studies
- J. Bart Klika, Social Work
Distinguished Contributions to Lifelong Learning Award
Presented to faculty who have taught for at least two years in non-degree programs sponsored by the UW and aimed at adults who are pursuing professional development, personal interest or career redirection.
- Mamidala Ramulu, Mechanical Engineering
S. Sterling Munro Public Service Teaching Award
Recognizes a faculty member who has demonstrated exemplary leadership in community-based instruction, including service learning, public service internships and community partnership projects.
- Gillian Harkins, English
University Faculty Lecture Award
Honors current or emeriti faculty whose research, scholarship or art is widely recognized by their peers and whose achievements have had a substantial impact on their profession.
- Batya Friedman, Information School
Marsha L. Landolt Distinguished Graduate Mentor Award
Recognizes faculty members who have made outstanding contributions to the education and guidance of graduate students.
- Peter J. May, Political Science
Outstanding Public Service Award
Presented to a faculty or staff member to honor extensive local and/or national and international service.
- Jacqueline McMurtrie, Law
Awarded to two graduating seniors who have achieved the most distinguished academic records at the University—one to a student who has completed at least three-fourths of his or her degree requirements at the UW and one to a student who entered the University from a Washington community college.
- Melissa Rose Winstanley
- Nicole Guenther
Alumnus Summa Laude Dignatus
Awarded to a former UW student whose lifetime achievements have earned him or her national or international prominence.
- Steven M. Holl, ’71
To request disability accommodation, contact the Disability Services Office at least 10 days in advance at: 206.543.6450 (voice), 206.543.6452 (TTY), 206.685.7264 (fax) or email@example.com.