Report to Campus
Did You Know?
- The University of Washington made the “Green Rating Honor Roll” from The Princeton Review and the U.S. Green Building Council in their third annual edition of The Princeton Review’s Guide to 322 Green Colleges.
- UW was named the 11th “most-buzzed” university on the Internet. The Global Language Monitor’s TrendTopper MediaBuzz rankings measured 210 universities and 200 colleges on their “brand equity,” using social media data, the blogosphere and both print and electronic media. Read the article “25 Most-Buzzed Universities on the Internet.”
Tomorrow’s University Today
In 2012, President Michael K. Young launched Tomorrow’s University Today, a new initiative that focuses on three key areas:
- Leading change in public higher education
- Turning the UW inside out to apply multidisciplinary expertise to K – 12 education and early learning; sustainability and clean energy; health care and social welfare
- Driving our economic future
The initiative builds on the UW’s long-standing commitment to addressing the world’s most complex challenges. Visit tomorrow.uw.edu to learn more.
This Just In . . .
Check back often for the latest updates from the world of External Affairs at the University of Washington!
August 20, 2014
Today University of Washington External Affairs staff participated in a service project at the Rainier Beach Urban Farm and Wetlands. Staff spent the morning helping restore the natural habitat by removing invasive bindweed.
The Rainier Beach Urban Farm and Wetland is Seattle’s largest urban farm. The 10 acre farm is owned by Seattle Parks and Recreation. In 2011 Seattle Tilth and the Friends of the Rainier Beach Urban Farm and Wetlands were granted co-operatorship. The farm is host to annual and perennial vegetables, raised beds, native plants, five large greenhouses, giant blueberry bushes, wetlands, a nature trail and a large compost area. Community members of all ages volunteer and participate in educational programs and learn to grow food organically and restore the natural wetlands habitat that runs down the middle of the farm. This urban also supplies fresh food to the local community through several markets and farmers markets.
Seattle Tilth is partnering with the Seattle Parks Foundation to raise funds for much needed improvements to the site. For more information visit their Campaign for the Farm website.
August 19, 2014
The Academic Ranking of World Universities has released its 2014 list of top schools in the world. This year, the UW moved up to No. 15. Read more from UW Today.
August 13, 2014
Yesterday, US Senator Patty Murray (D-WA) and Dr. Francis Collins, director of the National Institutes of Health (NIH) joined UW President Michael K. Young and research leaders from around the Pacific Northwest at our South Lake Union campus to talk about the future of the NIH. Read more from the Seattle Times.
Pictured: (left to right) President Michael K. Young, Dr. Collins, Sen. Patty Murray and Dr. Paul Ramsey, CEO of UW Medicine and dean of the UW School of Medicine
August 6, 2014
Curious about what we've been up to? The latest news from the Office of External Affairs is available online.
July 28, 2014
The Seattle Times featured UWTV's documentary Grays Harbor Happenings: The newsreels of C.D. Anderson last week. You can watch the documentary, which received a 2014 Telly Award for History/Biography, online from UWTV|Channel 27.
Read more news