Halloween is a fun time, but it is important to be vigilant about your personal safety. There are many things to consider to ensure your well-being and that of our UW community.
The UW Police Department has shared the following tips on staying safe on Halloween:
- If you walk alone be alert of your surroundings at all times. Call Nightwalk at 685-WALK for a campus escort!
- Whether walking alone or in a group, try to avoid dark or poorly-lit areas whenever possible.
- Watch out for your friends and others, whether outside or at a party – be aware of your friends’ whereabouts and try not to leave them unattended.
- If you have a drink, know where it is coming, how much alcohol it contains, and do not leave it unattended.
- Avoid playing pranks (particularly on strangers) that can be perceived as threatening.
- Trust your instincts – if something doesn’t feel right, get yourself out of the situation as soon as possible.
- Always carry your phone with you and don’t hesitate to call 911 to report suspicious or criminal activity.
- The U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration is warning that brightly colored fentanyl and fentanyl pills known as rainbow fentanyl may look like candy. If you encounter fentanyl in any form, do not handle it.
- Please be safe!
Wishing you a safe and Happy Halloween!