Changing Roles and Responsibilities

Since word is starting to get out, I wanted to let all of you regular blog readers know that effective August 1, I will become Vice President of External Affairs at the University. Here’s the official release from the Office of the President.

Dear Chancellors, Deans, Directors, and Chairs,

I am very pleased to announce that I am appointing Randy Hodgins as Vice President for External Affairs, effective August 1, 2009. This appointment is subject to the approval of the Board of Regents. In this capacity, Randy will oversee all aspects of our Government Relations (Federal, State and Regional), Media Relations and Communications, as well as Marketing (which also reports to the Vice President for Advancement).

As you know, Randy has been serving as Vice President on an interim basis since September 17, 2008, when Scott Woodward was appointed Athletic Director. Since then, Randy has continued to serve as Director of State Relations, the position for which he was hired to the University in January 2004.

Randy has performed extraordinarily well in his interim capacity, while continuing to superbly represent the UW’s interests in Olympia during the most difficult session in recent memory. I am confident he is absolutely the right person to lead our External Affairs team at this time.

Over the next several weeks, Randy and I will be discussing the process and timing for hiring a new Director of State Relations. If you are like me, you are probably having a hard time imagining someone other than Randy in that critical role. However, I am confident that as our new Vice President for External Affairs, Randy will bring the same energy and enthusiasm (and sense of humor) to his new responsibilities, ensuring that his replacement will serve the University well for many years to come.

Please join me in congratulating Randy on his new appointment.

Sincerely,

Mark Emmert
President