The Vice President for Minority Affairs & Diversity and University Diversity Officer is pleased to offer Diversity and Inclusion Seed Grants. These small grants support projects for institutional transformation across the University of Washington’s tri-campus community that align with the goals of the 2022-2026 UW Diversity Blueprint.
The six goals of the Diversity Blueprint are:
- Cultivate an Accessible, Inclusive, and Equitable Campus Climate
- Attract, Retain, and Graduate a Diverse and Excellent Student Body
- Attract and Retain Diverse Academic Personnel
- Attract and Retain Diverse Staff
- Develop Place-Based Education and Engagement to Advance Access, Inclusion and Equity
- Improve Accountability and Transparency at All Levels
For each broad goal, the Diversity Council has identified a number of strategic priorities and suggested action steps that are essential to progress.
Administrative and academic units are encouraged to apply for seed grants to support projects that help advance one or more of the goals.
Award amounts will typically range between $1,000-$3,000.
Eligibility, Funding, and Reporting
Proposals are accepted twice annually and may be submitted by one or more academic or administrative units.
Projects must begin during the quarter grant funds are disbursed and completed within one year.
Recipients will submit a report within 60 days of the project’s conclusion that 1) lists activities supported, 2) evaluates project outcomes, 3) describes any recommended project improvements, and 4) accounts for project funds. Depending on the nature of the project, funds may be disbursed in phases.
|Fall 2022 Application Timeline||Spring 2023 Application Timeline|
|Application opens: November 9, 2022||Application opens: May 8, 2023|
|Application closes: December 16, 2022||Application closes: June 16, 2023|
|Award notifications: February 2023||Award notifications: August 2023|
|Award disbursed: Spring 2023||Award disbursed: October 2023|
Applications will be reviewed by a committee comprised of members of the UW Diversity Council. Proposals will be judged on their alignment with the Diversity Blueprint, feasibility, and potential impact on the unit and/or the campus community. Priority given to projects that are supported with matching funds from the relevant deans, vice presidents, or departments/units.
Thus far, strong proposal have included one or more of the following attributes:
- A strong connection to one or more of the UW Diversity Blueprint goals
- Clearly articulated project outcomes and metrics for success
- A diversity and inclusion model other units will be able to emulate
- Broad project impact across all three campuses
- Potential for long-term sustainability
- Please provide a brief description of the current state of diversity and inclusion work in the unit [Max 1800 characters]
- Please provide a description of the project [Max 2400 characters]
- Please provide a statement of how the project will work toward the goals of the UW Diversity Blueprint, including which populations will benefit from the proposed work [Max 1800 characters]
- Please describe the project’s intended outcomes and measurables [Max 1200 characters]
- Finally, please provide a brief synopsis of your project. If selected, this will be used for promotional purposes [Max 350 characters]
- Please provide the following documents in PDF format: 1) A letter of support for this project from the appropriate unit lead (e.g., chair for a project in a department, dean/divisional dean/associate dean for a non-‐departmentalized school, college, or campus and an appropriate associate or assistant vice president for an administrative unit), and 2) A detailed budget proposal with a description of matching funds and/or any additional funds supporting this project (no more than one page in length). 3) (Optional) any supporting documents deemed appropriate (e.g., reports, evaluations). Applications submitted without a letter of support or budget will not be considered.
[When asked to sign in with your Google Account, please use your UW email address]