Skip to content

Financial aid for undocumented students

Whether you’re applying to the University of Washington or already a student, it’s important to know all your options. The first step is for you to find out what funding options are available to you.

Undocumented status Tuition classification Funding eligibility
If you qualify for:

Resident tuition
If you don’t qualify for HB 1079 and State Need Grant. Non-resident tuition

Private scholarships

Private scholarships can be an important source of funding to help cover your expenses. It will be important for you to conduct your own research, but we also recommend consulting with your school counselor and other educators as well as visiting the following websites that list scholarships for undocumented students.

It’s important to know that the University of Washington is not affiliated with many of these sites. We highly recommend reading the sites’ privacy policy before entering personal information.

Additional resources and recommendations

  • Know the cost of attendance: Visit our Total Cost of Attendance page to review the Annual Student Budget.
  • Review HB-1079 & WASFA requirements: Check if you meet the requirements for in-state tuition and the State Need Grant program (see table above).
  • Plan early: One of the most important things you can do to prepare for college is to start planning early. Once you know the cost of attendance, you can start preparing by starting a savings account, researching and applying for scholarships, and, if you qualify, make sure to submit your WASFA application early.
  • Find additional resources: Visit our Undocumented Student Center — Leadership Without Borders — to learn about additional resources that can help you to plan for applying to the University of Washington as well as WASFA and scholarships.