Board of Regents
The Regents will hold a meeting at 8 a.m. Thursday, April 14.
Asbestos Training Required
As a general reminder, each UW employee (this includes faculty, staff, work study, student hourly, etc.) must complete an Asbestos Refresher Training annually.
Environmental Health & Safety (EH&S) has completed the annual revision of the five to ten minute online Asbestos Awareness Refresher Training. This instruction supplements the current 20-30 minute introductory General Asbestos Awareness Training.
Note: When accessing the training, you may get a message stating this is an “untrusted” site. If you receive this message, the following applies:
- This requires your browser have the digital security certificate for our site and the University loaded in all of your web browsers. This can be found at http://www.washington.edu/computing/ca/. Additionally, it is better to do this before taking the course (this is recommended on the website). Again, this must be done for both of our browsers (IE and FireFox).
Both the initial and the annual refresher training are mandated by WA State Dept. Labor and Industries Asbestos Regulations
The information provided below provides links to access the online training:
- General Asbestos Awareness training is available at: http://www.ehs.washington.edu/pubcookie/train/asbestosg/
- The Refresher Asbestos Awareness Training is available at: http://www.ehs.washington.edu/pubcookie/train/asbestosr/
Additionally, EH&S urges all employees of the UW community to:
- Learn more about asbestos by visiting the EH&S asbestos information page at http://www.ehs.washington.edu/ohsasbestos/index.shtm.
- Observe and read the posters, signage, and labeling which EH&S and Facilities Services are installing to further educate building occupants about asbestos in UW facilities.
Contact the EH&S Asbestos Compliance Analyst, 206-543-7388 or email email@example.com, if you have further questions about asbestos.
Friday, April 15, 10 a.m. – 6:30 p.m., Health Sciences (third floor C-wing lobby)
Monday, April 18, 10:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Bus parked by George Washington statue
Tuesday, April 19, 10:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Bus parked by George Washington statue
Wednesday, April 20, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., Health Sciences (third floor C-wing lobby)
English Language Courses
The UW International & English Language Programs (UW IELP) offers quarterly online and on-site courses designed primarily for non-native speakers of English.
Convenient online courses are available for UW employees who want to improve their sentence-level grammar and vocabulary in academic, business or technical writing. All of the courses have online interactive exercises and short assignments to be completed each week. Instructors respond to assignments within two business days, giving detailed one-on-one feedback.
Evening on-site courses focus on improving conversational skills and preparation for the iBT TOEFL and IELTS. There are also daytime courses in reading, writing, grammar, speaking, listening, and vocabulary and idioms.
UW IELP customizes courses in English for the Workplace. Depending on the needs of your group, courses can be designed for such areas as pronunciation and fluency, assisting clients by telephone, presentation skills and the language of meetings, email communication, and job-specific vocabulary and idioms.
For more information, call 206-543-6242 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.