April 1, 2010
University Faculty Lecturer Nominations due April 14
Reminder: Nominations for the annual University Faculty Lecturer Award are due no later than Wednesday, April 14. The award honors current or emeriti faculty whose research, scholarship or art has been widely recognized by their peers and whose achievements have had a substantial impact on their profession, on the research or performance of others and perhaps on society as a whole. The honoree delivers a lecture that is open to the public.
This year for the first time, the Faculty Lecturer will be honored along with other universitywide award winners at the Awards of Excellence recognition event June 10, and will be invited to sit on the stage at commencement. The lecture will be given in fall quarter rather than in winter, as has been the custom.
The nomination letter should include a supporting statement summarizing the nominee’s accomplishments and impact, speaking ability, ability to adapt his/her academic interest to a broad audience, and a list of important publications. Send nominations to Susan Folk, assistant to the secretary of the faculty, Box 351271.
Previous Faculty Lecturers are ineligible for nomination. Lecturers in the last 10 years include:
- Peter Ward, Earth and Space Sciences, 2009
- Charles Hirschman, Sociology, 2008
- Gerald Pollack, Bioengineering, 2007
- John Toews, History, 2006
- Carolyn Webster-Stratton, School of Nursing, 2005
- James A. Banks, Multicultural Education, 2004
- Leland Hartwell, Genetics, FHCRC, 2003
- Bill Holm, Art History, 2002
- Maynard Olson, Medicine and Genome Sciences, 2001
- James Tollefson, English, 2000