April 17, 2008
Bands, ensemble combine for evening of music April 21
The UW Wind Ensemble and Symphonic, Concert, and Campus bands will perform works by Cecile Chaminade, Herbert L. Clarke, Jim Curnow, Percy Grainger, Edward Gregson, and John Mackey in a concert at 7:30 p.m. Monday, April 21, in Meany Theater.
The program includes:
UW Wind Ensemble, Timothy Salzman, conductor
- The Northwest premiere of “Concerto for Soprano Saxophone and Wind Ensemble,” by John Mackey, with faculty soloist Michael Brockman.
- First movement, “Tuba Concerto,” by Edward Gregson. Student Nate Lee is featured soloist.
Combined Concert and Campus Bands, Eric Smedley, conductor
- “Maid of the Mist,” by Herbert L. Clarke. Featured soloist is nine-year-old cornet player Natalie Dungey.
- “Ye Banks and Braes O’Bonnie Doon,” by Percy Grainger.
UW Symphonic Band, J. Bradley McDavid, conductor
- “Concerto for Euphonium and Band,” by Jim Curnow. Brandon Jones, Besson Euphonium Artist, is the featured soloist.
- “Concertino for Flute,” by Cecile Chaminade. Student Chung-Lin Lee is the featured soloist.
Tickets are $10 and are available at the Arts Ticket Office, 206-543-4880, or online at www.meany.org.