December 6, 2007
Submissions sought for 2008 online learning award
The floor is open for nominations for the 2008 R1edu Award for Distinguished Faculty Contributions to Online Learning. The award, given annually since 2001, acknowledges innovative and stellar work of faculty in online learning at member institutions of the R1edu consortium founded by UW Educational Outreach.
The criteria for the award are:
1. A faculty member must contribute significantly to online distance learning by either
- creating a new online distance learning program
- leading a department into the distance learning arena
- leading faculty toward a greater understanding and implementation of distance learning efforts
- creating an innovative distance learning policy, procedure, or infrastructure for the campus
2. The faculty member’s innovation must occur during the 12-month period, May-April, leading up to the current year’s award application deadline
3. The distance learning effort should contribute to the work of a research institution
4. The distance learning innovation should be aligned with the leading technology
Nominations are due by Friday, March 14. Past UW winners include faculty members Mamidala Ramulu, Joe Mahoney, David Notkin and Ed Lazowska; and graduate student Stephen Muench.. For more information on the award and past recipients, please see http://www.r1edu.org/press_releases.asp.
R1edu is a consortium of top U.S. research universities that pool their resources and knowledge to provide access to distance learning classes and reference materials. The consortium’s website (www.r1edu.org) allows students to search classes and programs by subject, type or institution. Participating institutions are members of the Carnegie Foundation and of the prestigious Association of American Universities.