- Learn More About the Project
Read the project goals and learn more about how the team works to promote accessibility.
- Join the Broadening Participation Community of Practice
Participate in discussions and learn of opportunities to broaden participation in engineering education and careers.
- Meet the Leadership Team and Advisory Board
Learn who is leading the BPE project.
- Contribute to the Literature Review
Share publications that share research and practice regarding broadening participation in engineering.
- Who’s Not at the Table Conference
This NSF-funded project is hosting an event with multiple stakeholder representatives October 30 - November 1, 2016. The proceedings are expected to be available here on our website in early 2017.
This Broadening Participation in Engineering (BPE) project, funded by the National Science Foundation, will hold and disseminate results from a meeting of multiple stakeholder groups to support a national research agenda for broadening engineering participation by those self-identifying as persons with disabilities; veterans; low income/first-generation persons (LIFG); and persons of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender or queer (LGBTQ) identity. The goal of the project is to build capacity to conduct formal research in broadening participation of these underserved groups. Project objectives are to
- develop an understanding of how to best increase research capacity in the area of study proposed;
- conduct a conference for individuals that represent a wide range of stakeholder groups who will contribute to the project goal;
- develop summary proceedings for the conference that include a synthesis of input presented at the meeting as a contribution toward creating a research agenda around the project goal; and
- disseminate findings through the project website, online forums, and conferences that project leaders and participants routinely attend.
All stakeholders are encouraged to join this effort.