The University of Washington is a global leader in environmental science research, education and technology transfer. We discover and share knowledge for the sustainability of our planet.
To allow building of summer homes on 34 million year-old fossils like these is like using the Dead Sea Scrolls to wrap fish in, one lawyer said. Learn More
As a public research institution in the heart of a globally connected metropolitan area, the UW is uniquely positioned to find solutions to the challenges posed by urbanization.
Energy and Clean Technology
The UW is in the forefront of research that will lead to the next generation of less-polluting, more efficient energy generation as well as technologies.
As environmentally responsible citizens, UW faculty, staff and students develop innovative ways to steward resources for future generations.
- Some Alaskan trout use flexible guts for the ultimate binge diet
- Tracking sediments’ fate in largest-ever dam removal
UW researchers are leading authorities on the impact of global warming and are at the forefront of developing new models that refine climate change predictions.
- Volunteers use historic ship logbooks to uncover Arctic climate data
- Remote clouds responsible for climate models’ glitch in tropical rainfall
- European satellite confirms UW numbers: Arctic Ocean is on thin ice
- Restoration Kickoff at Morningside Park
- UW Botanic Gardens: Feathered Friends Story Program
- Perennial Companions: Carrie Becker
- Biological Futures in a Globalized World Colloquium: Stewardship...of What, by Whom, in Whose Interests?
- History of Science and STS Colloquium: Mimicking Nature: Electrical Technology in the Enlightenment More