The UW fosters a culture of innovation in which students are mentored by faculty who are leaders in their fields. Together they are conducting research on the cutting edge.
Abraham Flaxman, a UW professor newly named one of “35 Innovators Under 35,” took the abstract mathematics he learned in graduate school and applied it to video games, then turned his talents to global public health. Seattle Times
Our Visionary Innovators
The UW is one of the world’s preeminent research universities. We prepare future leaders to create technologies that will make the world a better place.
Impact of Discoveries
Breakthroughs occur every day in laboratories across campus. We embrace independent thought and creativity, but we also know the power of collaboration.
Technology to Improve Society
Our outstanding students, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers have a long history of making discoveries that improve lives around the world.
- DNA analysis unearths origins of Minoans, the first major European civilization
- Engineered biomaterial could improve success of medical implants
- New ‘academic redshirt’ program to support undergraduate STEM education
- Spokane physician participates as patient in breast cancer vaccine trial
- New device can extract human DNA with full genetic data in minutes More
Partner with UW
Notable UW Inventions & Discoveries
- Long-Term Dialysis
- Color TV Tube
- PC Operating Systems
- Hepatitis B Vaccine
- Synthetic Rubber
- Disposable Diapers
- Yellow Street Paint
Did you know?
Approximately 9,200 people are employed by companies launched on UW research.
Innovation Fact Sheet (PDF)