UW Policy – IT Accessibility
The University of Washington (UW) strives to ensure that people with disabilities have access to the same services and content that are available to people without disabilities, including services and content made available through the use of information technology (IT). IT procured, developed, maintained, and used by the UW should provide substantially similar functionality, experience, and information access to individuals with disabilities as it provides to others. Examples of IT covered by this policy include web sites, software systems, electronic documents, videos, and electronic equipment such as information kiosks, telephones, and digital signs.
The policy aligns with:
- the UW’s vision to educate a diverse student body and its values of diversity, excellence, collaboration, innovation and respect.
- the UW’s obligations under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.
- the Americans with Disability Act of 1990 together with its 2008 Amendments.
- Washington State Policy #188 – Accessibility.
- UW Administrative Policy Statement 2.3 – Information Technology, Telecommunications and Networking Projects and Acquisitions.
Resources that can help individuals and UW units understand and meet their obligations under this policy include: