Veterans education benefits

Need To Know

Here you will find the answers to the most common questions. If you have additional questions, please give us a call, or send us an email. You can find our contact information here.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I use my benefits?

Every quarter you wish to use your VA Education Benefits, you need to submit the Enrollment Certification Request. Once you know your schedule for the upcoming quarter, reach out to your academic adviser to set up an appointment.

The Enrollment Certification Request is an online form, which will be completed by you and your adviser. When using DocuSign you will be asked to enter your adviser’s name and email. Once you complete your section of the form, it will automatically be sent to your adviser. After your adviser has completed their section the form will be sent to our office for processing. If you do not have UW NetID yet, or if you wish to use a PDF version instead please see our forms page for the PDF versions. We encourage you to use DocuSign when possible.

We cannot certify your enrollment with the VA without this form, so make sure to complete it before each quarter.

You can only be certified for courses that are required to complete your program. The course can be required as either general education credit or elective credit previously not filled.

Courses previously failed or for which the grade does not meet minimum requirements for graduation may be certified for VA purposes if they are repeated. If you repeat a course, you will need to have a Course Repeat form signed by your academic adviser. The VA will not pay for course repeats done in order to improve GPA.

If you are seeking a dual major or have a declared minor, you must complete a Request for Multiple Objectives form.

Back to top

What if I make changes to my schedule?

If you make changes to your schedule by adding and/removing course(s), please submit an updated Enrollment Certification Request with your new schedule. Even if the total number of credits remain the same you need to submit an updated form.

If you drop a course or need to withdraw from school after the drop period contact the Veterans Education Benefits Office as soon as possible. The VA may reduce your benefits retroactively unless there are mitigating circumstances. The VA will automatically grant a 6-credit hour exclusion the first time you drop/withdraw from courses while using benefits. This one-time exclusion cannot be granted if you complete the quarter and receive a non-punitive grade.

Mitigating circumstances are those beyond your control that prevent you from continuing to be enrolled or that cause you to reduce the number of credits. Examples include:

  • An illness or injury afflicting you during the enrollment period
  • An illness or death in your immediate family
  • An unavoidable change in your conditions of employment
  • Unanticipated active duty military service, including training
  • Immediate family or financial obligations beyond your control that require you to suspend pursuit of your education to gain employment.

Back to top

What happens if I do a Hardship Withdrawal?

If you need to leave school and will complete a Hardship Withdrawal with the Registrar’s office, let the Veterans Education Benefits Office know so they can report it to the VA. The VA tends to waive a debt if a Hardship Withdrawal is granted by the UW. Hardship withdrawals are granted for documented emergencies, such as an automobile accident, severe illness, or other extenuating circumstances beyond your control.

Back to top

How do I verify my attendance?

Chapter 30 and 1606 recipients are required to contact the VA on the last day of each month to verify their attendance. If you forget to call, your payment will be held. If the number of credits or enrollment status is incorrect when you are verifying your attendance, contact the Veterans Education Benefits Office with the correct information. Do not try to correct it through the VA website.

Verify by phone: 1-877-823-2378
Verify online: WAVE system

Back to top

How are tuition and fee payments handled?

Post 9/11 benefits will cover resident tuition and mandatory fees up to your entitlement percentage. Examples of non-mandatory fees are late change fee, transcript fee, ID photo fee, and various WSA/UW USAS/WASHPIRG fees.

If you are paying non-resident tuition you are responsible for the difference between the resident rate covered by the VA, and the non-resident rate you are paying.

When certifying your courses before the quarter starts we will not report any tuition and fees. The certification is amended to reflect tuition and fees after the quarter has started. As such your tuition payment will be delayed but you will not be assessed any late fees from Student Fiscal Services, as it is part of the normal certifying procedure.

The VA sends a letter stating they could not pay tuition and fees as the University of Washington reported $0 in tuition and fees. This is due to the fact that we report tuition and fees at a later date.

Back to top

Do I qualify for resident tuition?

If you are from out of state, make sure to contact the Residence Classification Office to see if you are eligible to resident tuition under the Choice Act, or bona fide residency. If you are paying non-resident tuition, you will be responsible for the difference between resident tuition rate and non-resident tuition rates as the VA only covers resident tuition.

Please see their updated information about how to submit the application and supporting documentation here.

Back to top

How is the Monthly Housing Allowance calculated?

Post 9/11 benefits pay a Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA) which is based on the BAH rate for E5 with dependents for the zip code of where you take the majority of your courses and your enrollment status (rate of pursuit).

If you are full time and if you are taking the majority of your courses on the Seattle campus, the MHA rate for Academic Year 2020-2021 is $2,748 per month, for a full month of enrollment. This may change based on the enrollment status, location of course(s) and days of enrollment.

If you are taking all online courses, the MHA rate is $850 per month.
If you attend over half-time, but less than full time, the VA prorates the MHA amount, taking your rate of pursuit and rounding to the nearest multiple of 10.

Undergraduate/Professional Students

If you’re taking this many credits Your rate of pursuit is Your MHA is this rate
12 100% 100%
11 91% 90%
10 83% 80%
9 75% 80%
8 66% 70%
7 58% 60%
6 or below 50% or less 0%

Graduate Students

If you’re taking this many credits Your rate of pursuit is Your MHA is this rate
10 100% 100%
9 90% 90%
8 80% 80%
7 70% 70%
6 60% 60%
5 or below 50% or less 0%

Back to top

How do I pay Housing and Food Services, or my rent?

The monthly housing stipend is paid directly to you by the VA. This means you are responsible for paying rent or any housing charges you have depending on your situation. If you do have room and board through UW, please contact Housing and Food Services to let them know you are using benefits, so you can set up a payment plan with them.

Back to top

What if I am Non Matriculated Student?

If you are non-matriculated (not yet degree-seeking), you will need to complete a Non Matriculated Student Status form to be signed by your adviser. When using DocuSign you will be asked to enter your adviser’s name and email. Once you complete your section of the form, it will automatically be sent to your adviser. After the adviser has completed their section the form will be sent to our office for processing.

If you are not yet assigned an academic adviser, or if you are using general advising, you need to set up an appointment or use drop-in advising before you start the form so you can talk with an adviser before you start the process.

If you do not have UW NetID yet, or if you wish to use a PDF version instead please see our forms page for the PDF versions. We encourage you to use DocuSign when possible.

Back to top

Can I do Study Abroad?

The VA will only cover UW faculty-led programs. You will not be able to use your VA education benefits for exchange programs or third party programs such as CIEE, SIT, and IES. If you are attending a UW faculty-led program, you are able to use your benefits, assuming your courses are required for your degree program, either as core requirement(s) or as elective credit(s). Your monthly housing stipend will be based on your enrollment at the UW and the actual dates for the program.

If you are using Post 9/11 benefits, the benefits will not cover any fees associated with the study abroad, unless the study abroad option is mandatory for your degree program. It will not cover any costs related to travel, or third party charges. The benefits will cover the instructional cost for the study abroad program. Please note that this will be different from the study abroad charge as posted on your MyUW.

Back to top

What is FERPA?

In order for us to release any information to another person, such as spouse or parent, we need permission to release information on file. This can be done either online or via a PDF form. Both versions can be found on the Office of Student Financial Aid website.

Back to top

Can I take courses at another school – Parent School Letter?

If you decide to take classes at another institution we need to send the other institution a Parent School Letter. Please complete the Parent School Letter Request form. Once the form is signed by your academic adviser here at UW, we will send a Parent School Letter to the School Certifying Official at the other school.

If you are using financial aid, please make sure to contact us regarding the process and how it affects your financial aid.

Back to top

How do I apply for Short Term Loan?

If you find yourself in a situation where there is a time lag between your VA benefits being applied and/or your financial aid is pending, go to MyUW and apply for a Short Term Emergency Loan. For more information about the loan, check the Student Financial Aid website.

Back to top

Do I need to meet Satisfactory Progress?

If you are pursuing a bachelor’s degree, you are expected to make satisfactory progress toward attaining the degree. In addition, you are expected to enter a major and graduate after completion of a reasonable number of credits.

The VA pays for 0.0 grades. They also will pay for I or incomplete grades, but for undergraduates only. The VA will not pay for X, NS, Audit or NC grades.

Students are placed on academic probation at the end of any quarter – except for the first quarter at the UW, in which their cumulative GPA is below 2.0. Students on probation will be dropped the following quarter unless their quarter GPA is at least 2.5 or their cumulative GPA is 2.0 or higher.

Back to top