Don’t miss this wildly creative fashion show featuring sustainable eco-fashions!
From the wild to the runway, this show collides “fashion forward” with “socially and environmentally responsible.” The runway will be alive with animal-inspired designs and performances, and all designs are ethically and sustainably constructed for both people and the planet. This runway show will feature Project Runway winners and participants, as well as a number of local and international designers and performers. This unique and exciting event will be held on Wednesday, May 20, at 7 p.m. at Gould Hall.
The UW Conservation in Style student group was formed by students Ava Holmes and Olivia Moskowitz, who’ve partnered with The Gabby Wild Foundation to host a second Conservation Catwalk. Conservation in Style focuses on eco-friendly fashion to raise awareness and funds for endangered species. The Gabby Wild Foundation is a US-based charity that partners with international NGO’s, research organizations and accredited charities to promote the conversation of wildlife and management of ecosystems. The Gabby Wild Foundation celebrates the intersection of art and science by raising awareness and creating fundraising campaigns that feature sustainable fashion and support hands-on conservation research, field and veterinary work.
The “Elements of the Wild” fashion show will feature five runway segments representing the four elements essential to life:
- Earth (Benefitting the Peruvian Cat Conservation (ocelots, jaguars and pumas) with “Hoja Nueva“)
- Air (Benefitting bird species with the “Friends of Yesler Swamp“)
- Fire (Benefitting the Sumatran tiger with “Save Sumatra“)
- Water (Benefitting the Ganges River Dolphin with “The Gabby Wild Foundation“)
A secret fifth element will also be featured and benefit all organizations.
Attendees will also hear from renowned wildlife conservationists speaking about each of the four elements, and the event will also include exhibits and an auction to further benefit the animals and these organizations.
This impressive list of Project Runway winners and participants will be showing their designs on the runway:
- Althea Harper, Project Runway Season 6 finalist
- Andy South, Project Runway Season 8 top 3 finalist
- Gordana Gehlhausen, Project Runway Season 6 4th runner-up and Project Runway All Star
- Jay McCarroll, Winner of Project Runway Season 1
- Kara Saun, Project Runway Season 1 finalist
- Kristin Haskin Simms, Project Runway Season 8 competitor
- Mila Hermanovski, Project Runway Season 7 top 3 finalist and Project Runway All Star
- Seth Aaron Henderson, Project Runway Season 7 winner, Project Runway All Star winner
The runway will also feature the following local and international designers and performers:
- Carlisia McManic: “Mac Fashion Jungle”
- Devon Yan Berrong: “Wild Garden collection”
- Karen Hulse: “Sand, Surf and Sea”
- Baby Alpaca: “Wild Child”
- Nicole Carter of Regalia Designs: “Colors of Creativity”
- Meagan Kruz: “Divine Nightfall”
- Laura Zwanziger and Max Gengos, Cornell University FSAD Student and Calvin Klein Designer
- Gary Harvey, New York, Paris and London Fashion Week Designer
- Luis Valenzuela, Founder of EcoArtFashion©
See you at the runway!