Registration at UW

Overview of WA State Tuition Exemption Program

List of Schools

Bellevue College (425) 564-2222
Central Washington University (509) 963-3001
Edmonds Community College (425) 640-1000
The Evergreen State College (360) 866-6000 ext. 6180
Everett Community College (425) 388-9219
Green River Community College (253) 833-9111
Highline Community College (425) 878-3710 ext. 2501
North Seattle Community College (206) 527-3664
Seattle Central Community College (206) 587-5417
Shoreline Community College (206) 546-4581
South Seattle Community College (206) 764-7938
University of Washington, Bothell (425) 352-5300
University of Washington, Seattle (206) 543-8580
University of Washington, Tacoma (253) 692-4400
Washington State University (509) 335-5346
Western Washington University (360) 650-3440

Who is eligible to participate in the Tuition Exemption Program?

The University's Tuition Exemption Policy is governed by Chapter 28B.15.558 of the Revised Code of Washington (RCW) and UW Administrative Policy Statement 22.1.

  1. UW Employees

    Employment Program Eligible for Tuition Exemption Eligibility Begins
    Classified Staff (minimum 50% FTE) Yes Completed 6 month probationary period
    Professional Staff (minimum 50% FTE) Yes First day of employment
    Faculty (minimum 50% FTE) Yes First day of employment
    Hourly or Temporary Staff No NA
  2. Washington State Employees

    "State of Washington employees" means persons employed half-time or more in one or more of the following employee classifications:

    • Permanent employees in classified service under chapter 41.06 RCW;
    • Permanent classified employees and exempt paraprofessional employees of technical colleges; and,
    • Faculty, counselors, librarians, and exempt professional and administrative employees at institutions of higher education as defined in RCW 28B.10.016
    • K-12 instructors qualified to teach or seeking valid endorsement and assignment in a state-identified shortage area are eligible, as defined in RCW 28B.15.558

Obtaining Student Status

The first step to being a tuition-exempt student at the University of Washington is to decide what kind of student you will be and how to apply for that status. Below is the list of student statuses at UW and their contact information.

You need only apply for student status once as long as you maintain continuous enrollment in the same status. If you wish to change statuses, you will have to reapply to the appropriate status. If you take two quarters or more off consecutively, not counting Summer quarter, please complete a Returning Student Application. If you withdrew from a quarter, that counts as a quarter off from the university.

  • Undergraduate or Postbaccalaureate

    To apply to be an undergraduate student or Postbaccalaureate (Fifth Year student), please contact the Office of Admissions to apply to a program. Their phone number is 206.543.9686 and they are located in 320 Schmitz Hall.
  • Graduate Student

    To apply to be a matriculated student in a graduate program at the University of Washington, please contact the Graduate School Admissions, their phone number is 206.543.5900 and they are located in G-1 Communications building.
  • Non-matriculated (NM) Student

    To apply to be a first time non-matriculated (not seeking a degree) student under the tuition exemption program, please complete the following Non-matriculated Admission Application. This application must be accompanied by a $60 non-refundable application fee. We accept exact cash, checks made payable to the University of Washington, or money orders. This fee cannot be paid by credit card. Please turn in your application and fee to 225 Schmitz Hall or you may mail it to: University of Washington Tuition Exemption Registration, Box 355850, Seattle WA 98195
    • Please note: As a non-matriculated student, you may take undergraduate and graduate level courses. However any graduate level courses cannot be counted towards a graduate degree at UW.
  • Graduate Non-Matriculated (GNM) Student

    To apply as a GNM student, please contact Graduate Admissions. Their phone number is 206.543.5900 and they are in G-1 Communications building. Classes taken with GNM status can be applied to a future UW graduate degree if you are accepted into a program.
  • Returning Student

    If you have attended the University of Washington before as an undergraduate, post bac, or NM, AND ARE RETURNING TO THE SAME STATUS, please complete the following Returning Student Application. This application must be accompanied by a $60 non-refundable application fee, we accept exact cash, checks made payable to the University of Washington, or money orders. This fee cannot be paid by credit card. Please turn in your application and fee to 225 Schmitz Hall or you may mail it to: University of Washington Tuition Exemption Registration, Box 355850, Seattle, WA 98195.

    If you are returning to a graduate program or as a GNM, please contact Graduate Admissions.

Tuition Exemption Request Forms and Instructions

The tuition exemption form is due every quarter to the Registration Office at 225 Schmitz Hall. We accept forms by mail, in person, faxed to 206.616.3222, or scanned and emailed to Mailing address: University of Washington Tuition Exemption Registration, Box 355850, Seattle, WA 98195-5950

The form cannot be processed without the required signature from the employee and the supervisor.

Forms are due 10 business days or 2 weeks before the first day of the quarter. Forms submitted after this date are considered late. You may have one late submission only, after that we cannot accept your tuition exemption form.

If you are a non-matriculated student or undergraduate student, please leave the second half of the form blank, you are only required to fill out the top part. The bottom is reserved for graduate, post bac, and GNM status (see job related and tax information in the FAQs at the bottom of the page).

Registering for Classes

After the Registration Office has received your tuition exemption request form and you have student status, you can register using the Registration option of the Personal Services on MyUW on or after the appropriate registration eligibility dates.

Registration eligibility dates

  1. All UW employees register on the 3rd day of the quarter
  2. All non-UW Washington state employees register on the 4th day of the quarter

See the Academic Calendar for specific registration dates for each quarter. Course enrollment is not permitted prior to the appropriate registration eligibility date for all courses when using a tuition exemption, this includes any additional courses even if they are not taken as tuition exempt. However, students may attend classes with instructor permission prior to the registration eligibility date.

Students registering before the assigned tuition exemption registration eligibility date will not be permitted to convert to the tuition exemption program, and will be required to pay regular tuition for all registered credits. There are no course adds accepted after the third week of the quarter.

Courses covered by tuition exemption

Generally, all state-funded courses 599 and below are covered with tuition exemption with exceptions listed below. All fee-based courses offered through the School of Professional and Continuing Education are not covered by tuition exemption, please see this webpage for an explanation of Fee-Based courses.

In addition, the tuition exemption program does NOT cover:

  1. ENGL 100 through 105
  2. MATH 098
  3. All NCLIN-prefix courses
  4. NMETH 598, 600, 700, 800, 801
  5. NURS 499, 599
  6. graduate level independent courses numbered 600, 700, and 800
  7. or any self-sustaining courses
  8. College of Education matriculated degree courses are not eligible for tuition exemption.
    More information from the College of Education
Also, certain state funded courses or programs may be excluded from the tuition exemption program on the basis of academic or fiscal considerations.


  • Non-matriculated and returning student applications must be accompanied by an application fee of $60. Send a check or money order (U.S. dollars only) payable to the University of Washington. The application fee is non-refundable. We do not accept credit cards for this payment.
  • After registering for classes, please check your UW student account balance, available through MyUW. You will be billed $30 non-refundable registration fee and any additional tuition for credits over 6. You will also be billed the UW Quarterly Technology Fee which is per credit. This balance is due when UW tuition is due, please see the Academic Calendar for the specific date, it is typically the 3rd Friday of the quarter.
  • A $25 late registration fee will be assessed if the student initially registers for the quarter on or after the eighth calendar day of that quarter. A $75 late registration fee will be assessed if the student initially registers for the quarter on or after the 15th calendar day of that quarter.
  • A $20 fee will be charged for all registration changes made on a single day beginning the eighth calendar day of the quarter.

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Do I get all the same student services under the tuition exemption program?

    Tuition-exempt students who register for 6 credits or less do not pay the Student Services and Activities Fee and therefore are not entitled to the services funded by those fees. Nor are they eligible to purchase tickets to athletic or performing arts events at students rates. However, tuition-exempt students who do register in excess of 6 credits must pay the Student Services and Activities Fee and may use these services with their Husky card. For a full list of services covered please visit Services and Activities Fee Programs. Please note a UPASS is no longer included as a service with this fee.

  2. Can I use the libraries?

    All tuition exempt students may use the libraries with their Husky Card (faculty/staff identification card). Participating Washington State employees may obtain ID cards for library services from the Husky Card Services Center in 014 Odegaard.

  3. Can I buy a UPASS?

    Tuition-exempt students are not automatically billed for the UPASS Program with their tuition or student services fees. All tuition-exempt students, including non-UW employees, are eligible to purchase a UPASS from the UW Commuter Services Office at the employee rate. It is not refundable and not pro-rated. For more information about the UPASS program and other commuting options, please contact Commuter Services at (206) 221-3701, email, located at 3745 15th Ave NE, Seattle WA.

  4. How do job related taxes work? Who does this apply to?

    Student Fiscal Services monitors the tuition exemption total for each employee student and calculates the tax amount for those who owe tax. For detailed information regarding the tuition exemption tax issues, please go to the Student Tax website.

    According to the University of Washington's policy for Internal Revenue Code section 127 tax plan, an employee taking graduate level, non-job-related classes is entitled to a tuition exemption up to $5,250 in a year without tax withholding. Amounts in excess of this limit are subject to a 25% federal income tax, plus 7.6% for Social Security and Medicare Tax.

    For answers to tax related questions please contact

Still have more questions? Contact the Registration Office at 206.543.8580 or