In response to a request from legislative leaders, Interim President Phyllis Wise outlined the effect of budget cuts that were at the level of the governor’s proposed cuts (about $189 million) plus 15 or 30 percent. Those effects could include:
- Up to 500 fewer Washington residents in the freshman class
- Loss of up to 1,800 jobs on campus
- Potential consolidation of two schools, as well as the loss of other degree programs
- Annual tuition increases of 23 to 30 percent
- Increased time-to-degree of as much as three academic quarters, increasing a student’s tuition needs by $8,700
Read Wise’s letter to the legislators here.