UW in the media
Recent mentions of the University of Washington in the news
Some of the stories below may require a third-party subscription. Please contact UW News if you have any questions or concerns.
- Opinion | North Korea's threats revitalize preemptive strike debate in Japan | Forbes4 hours ago
"The idea of preemptive strikes is flying around Northeast Asia. It is difficult to know where all the regional brinkmanship between the U.S. and North Korea will actually go," writes Saadia Pekkanen, professor of international studies at the UW.
- By age 6, kids already think boys are better than girls in programming and robotics | GeekWire4 hours ago
For the first time, research from the University of Washington shows that by first grade, children are already embracing the stereotype that boys are better than girls at robotics and programming.
- US News announces keynote speakers at STEM Conference | US News4 hours ago
U.S. News & World Report today announced keynote speakers for the sixth annual STEM Solutions National Leadership Conference in May. UW President Ana Mari Cauce will be one of the speakers.
- Transgender kids just as quickly learn girls love dolls, boys trucks | Vocativ4 hours ago
Researchers from the University of Washington have found that preschoolers show the same stereotypical preferences — for dolls or trucks, say — and have just as strong a sense of their gender identity, regardless of whether they are transgender or not.
- UW spinout WiBotic lands $2.5M to build technology that charges drones and robots wirelessly | GeekWire4 hours ago
University of Washington spinout WiBotic, which is building technology that wirelessly powers drones and other robotic devices, has raised $2.5 million in a new funding round.
- Teacher-shortage crisis? UW researcher says it’s not that simple, and offers some fixes | The Seattle Times4 hours ago
A new report from the Brookings Institution encourages states and school districts to use more targeted solutions to address persistent teacher shortages. Dan Goldhaber, director of the UW's Center for Education Data & Research, is quoted.
- Was Cliff Mass right about March tor Science? | seattlepi.com4 hours ago
Early hand-wringing among some scientists fretting that the March for Science would harm the cause of science tended to center on one key issue: There was no way the march would not be political. Cliff Mass, professor of atmospheric sciences at the UW, is quoted.
- Get an amazing Whale's-eye view underneath Antarctica | National Geographic4 hours ago
Cameras attached to humpback whales are giving researchers fresh insight into a rapidly changing Southern Ocean. Kristin Laidre, a University of Washington polar scientist, is quoted.
- Silicon Valley companies hire the most alumni of these 10 universities, and none of them are in the Ivy League | Quartz6 hours ago
Quartz lists the schools with the most undergraduate and graduate alumni hired by the 25 biggest Silicon Valley employers in the last year. The UW is ranked No. 18 on the list.
- UW professor on US relations with North Korea | KOMO Radio1 day ago
KOMO Radio's Herb Weisbaum interviews Clark Sorensen, director of the Center for Korea Studies at the UW, about North Korea-U.S. relations.
- Former congressman grades Trump's first 100 days in office | KOMO Radio1 day ago
KOMO Radio's Herb Weisbaum interviews former Congressman Jim McDermott, who just finished teaching a graduate course at the UW on the first 100 days of the U.S. presidency, about President Trump's first 100 days in office.
- A ‘mega moisture plume’ stretches all the way from southern Japan to Washington state | The Washington Post1 day ago
Many places in the state of Washington have gone more than 25 days without sunshine in the past month. Cliff Mass, professor of atmospheric sciences at the UW, is quoted.
- 10 MBA programs where new grads make more than they owe | US News1 day ago
Students wondering whether business school is worth the time and money may be comforted by the results of a recent survey ranking schools based on average post-graduation salary to debt ratio. The UW Foster School of Business is No. 4 on the list.
- It's time to kick our addiction to the war on drugs | Stat News1 day ago
Although the majority of Americans who consume illicit drugs do so without addiction, opioid overdose has become a deadly reality. A UW Medicine study is referenced.
- Man takes drone out for a sunset flight, drone gets shot down | Ars Technica1 day ago
The Federal Aviation Administration considers drones to be aircraft —
and under federal law, shooting at aircraft is a crime. However, to date, no federal prosecutions have been brought against those who shoot down drones. Ryan Calo, assistant professor of law at the UW, is quoted.
- Analysis | What Africa still needs to do to eliminate malaria | The Conversation1 day ago
"To achieve low transmission rates and eventual elimination, African countries need to invest in understanding the geography, evolutionary history of flora and fauna, infrastructure and land use in Africa," writes Willis Simon Akhwale, country director I-TECH Kenya at the UW.
- Mozak turns brain cell mapping into a free and fun video game | GeekWire1 day ago
A game called Mozak, developed at the UW Center for Game Science, is turning thousands of Internet users into “tracers” who help neuroscientists map out the tangled circuitry of brain cells.
- Study finds military service boosts well-being for transgender vets | UPI1 day ago
A new UW study found that transgender people in the military may get long-term, positive benefits on their mental health, quality of life from military service.
- In their own words: Experts on Donald Trump's presidency | NBC News1 day ago
NBC News talked to historians, activists, authors, and White House veterans on how President Donald Trump's first 100 days measure up against his predecessors. Margaret O'Mara, associate professor of history at the UW, is quoted.
- The 10 best colleges for learning to code | CNBC1 day ago
PayScale lists the top colleges and universities to learn to code based on net return on investment. The UW is ranked No. 2.