September 13, 2013
15 UW faculty members named to state Academy of Sciences
The Washington State Academy of Sciences has added 25 new members to its ranks, and 15 of them are from the University of Washington.
The academy provides expert scientific and engineering analysis for policy makers, and works to increase the role and visibility of science in the state. The new members, elected based on their achievements, were inducted during the academy’s sixth-annual meeting in Seattle and bring the academy’s total membership to 206.
Two UW faculty members – Thomas Fleming in biostatistics and Andy Stergachis in epidemiology and global health – were elected based on their earlier selection to the national Institute of Medicine.
The other UW faculty members elected are:
- Krzysztof Burdzy, mathematics.
- Charles Campbell, chemistry.
- David Castner, chemical engineering, bioengineering.
- Richard Catalano Jr., social work.
- Kyle Crowder, sociology.
- Stanley Froehner, physiology and biophysics.
- Margaret Heitkemper, biobehavioral nursing and health systems.
- Samson Jenekhe, chemical engineering.
- John Scott, pharmacology.
- Patrick Stayton, bioengineering.
- David Stensel, civil engineering.
- Minoru Taya, mechanical engineering.
- Paul Yager, bioengineering.