Students of Michael Brockman will take the spotlight in “Saxophone Night,” an annual evening of music for solo performers and quartets. The concert will be at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, April 20, in Brechemin Auditorium.
The program will feature French and American classical works, modern/avant-garde pieces and jazz. Selections include works by John Coltraine, William Schmidt, Paula Maurice, Robert Muczinski, Jacque Ibert, J.S. Bach, and David Kechley.
Here are details from the program.
- John Coltrane, Moment’s Notice, performed by a trio of jazz saxophonists including Levi Gillis and Bryan Van Pelt.
- William Schmidt, Sonatina, for tenor saxophone and piano, performed by Abishek Kalkura.
- Paula Maurice, Tableaux de Provence, performed by Miriam Champer.
- Robert Muczinski, Sonata for alto sax and piano, performed by Leif Gustafson.
- Jacque Ibert, Concertino da Camera for alto saxophone and piano, performed by Eric Mathews.
- J.S. Bach (arr. Michael Brockman), Fugue No. 4, performed by the UW Saxophone Quartet.
- David Kechley, Stepping Out, performed by the UW Saxophone Quartet.
Tickets for the concert are $5, cash or check at the door. For more information visit the School of Music online.