April 13, 2011
‘Saxophone Night at Brechemin Auditorium April 20
Students of Michael Brockman will take the spotlight in “Saxophone Night,” an annual evening of music for solo performers and quartets. The concert will be at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, April 20, in Brechemin Auditorium.
The program will feature French and American classical works, modern/avant-garde pieces and jazz. Selections include works by John Coltraine, William Schmidt, Paula Maurice, Robert Muczinski, Jacque Ibert, J.S. Bach, and David Kechley.
Here are details from the program.
- John Coltrane, Moment’s Notice, performed by a trio of jazz saxophonists including Levi Gillis and Bryan Van Pelt.
- William Schmidt, Sonatina, for tenor saxophone and piano, performed by Abishek Kalkura.
- Paula Maurice, Tableaux de Provence, performed by Miriam Champer.
- Robert Muczinski, Sonata for alto sax and piano, performed by Leif Gustafson.
- Jacque Ibert, Concertino da Camera for alto saxophone and piano, performed by Eric Mathews.
- J.S. Bach (arr. Michael Brockman), Fugue No. 4, performed by the UW Saxophone Quartet.
- David Kechley, Stepping Out, performed by the UW Saxophone Quartet.
Tickets for the concert are $5, cash or check at the door. For more information visit the School of Music online.