WFSE-UW Arbitration Award Back Pay Information: April 13, 2012, through June 30, 2013
This page explains how back pay adjustments were made for WFSE-represented employees affected by the arbitration decision that awarded back pay for the period of April 13, 2012, through June 30, 2013.
In accordance with the award by Arbitrator Michael Cavanaugh, the University will pay affected employees back wages and benefits for the period April 13, 2012, through June 30, 2013. The arbitrator did not award interest.
The group to receive proceeds of the award includes employees receiving:
- Skilled Trades Adjustments
- Shift Differential Adjustments for Custodians and Cleaning Personnel
- Shift Differential Adjustments for Other WFSE-Represented Staff
Award for Custodians and Cleaning Personnel
The back pay awarded for custodians and cleaning personnel includes the following:
- Back pay awarded for hours worked at evening ($1.00/hour) or night shift ($1.25/hour) differential rates from April 13, 2012, through June 30, 2013, including any overtime worked. Payment is made through the regular payroll system and is subject to normal deductions for taxes and union dues.
Affected WFSE-UW Custodial and Cleaning Job Classifications
- 8532 Custodian
- 8533 Custodian Lead
- 8536 Carpet Cleaner
- 8543 Maintenance Custodian 1
- 8658 Custodian
- 8659 Custodian Lead
- 8665 Maintenance Custodian 1
- 8776 Custodian Supervisor 1
- 8777 Custodian Supervisor 2
- 8601 FDA WFSE - Leave of Absence (if doing work paid at evening or night shift differential rate and substituting for any of the other jobs on this list)
Award for Skilled Trades Personnel
The back pay award for skilled trades personnel in the six affected job classifications includes the following:
- Back pay awarded as a result of the higher base pay rate for the period of April 13, 2012, through June 30, 2013, including any overtime worked. Payment is made through the regular payroll system and is subject to normal deductions for taxes and union dues.
Affected WFSE-UW Skilled Trades Classifications
Job classes awarded two pay ranges of back pay:
- 8825 Carpenter
- 8826 Carpenter Lead
Job classes awarded four pay ranges of back pay:
- 8858 Plumber/Pipefitter/Steamfitter
- 8859 Plumber/Pipefitter/Steamfitter Lead
- 8836 Elevator Mechanic
- 8837 Elevator Mechanic Lead
Other Affected WFSE-UW Classifications
Other WFSE-UW classifications not already paid at the higher shift differential rate were awarded the higher back pay shift differential rate of $1.00 per hour. For employees in any of these classifications, all hours worked at evening or night shift differential rates from April 13, 2012, through June 30, 2013, were used in the back pay calculation, including overtime.
Payments for the period of April 16, 2012, through June 30, 2013, are being processed accordingly:
- For current employees, monies awarded for wages were included with your January 24, 2014 pay check.
- For former employees, a check was mailed for wages awarded no later than January 24, 2014.
April 13-15, 2012, is a partial pay period, and requires additional time for review and processing. Additional monies will be paid once the review has occurred.
Questions about Back Pay Calculations
If you believe the number of work hours used for your payout calculation was incorrect, you may contact your departmental payroll coordinator to request a report of the hours you worked from April 13, 2012, through June 30, 2013.