About UTemp Staffing
Join the UTemp Staffing Candidate Pool! The UTemp Staffing program, which provides temporary employment services throughout the University of Washington, regularly has opportunities for individuals who take pride in their work, are flexible, and have an attitude of service and commitment. We will contact you when a position comes available for which your skills and/or experience would be a great match.
Whether your interests lie in health care, technology, facilities, research, or administration, opportunities abound at the UW. There are many options to explore, and as a temporary employee, you will learn about the UW's various departments, medical centers, people and culture.
Working as a temporary employee can be an excellent means to gain experience and exposure to various job opportunities within the UW. Whether you are available for several months or several days, you can make a difference.
Common Job Categories
Following is a list of common areas for which we seek applicants with relevant skills. However, the need for candidates with specific skill sets varies depending on the types of positions that are open for recruitment at any given time. UTemp Staffing seeks to maintain a diverse candidate pool of individuals who possess a variety of skills and experience.
- Entry-level office support (basic computer proficiency required; filing, reception, and multi-line phones)
- Administrative support (intermediate to advanced computer proficiency preferred, office and project management)
- Accounting and Fiscal (UW financial systems experience, bookkeeping, A/P and A/R)
- Healthcare (various office support and patient services, medical records)
- Research (program support, grant coordination, lab support)
- Information Systems (software support, helpdesk, development)
- Trades and Light Industrial (general labor, driving, warehouse, custodian)
- General Services (various customer service, cashiering, ushering, food service)
Requirements vary depending on the nature of the work being performed.
Length of Temporary Assignments
Length of assignments range from as short as a few hours or a day to several months. Most opportunities are day shift, although sometimes there may be a specific need for weekend or evening shifts.
Locations We Serve
UTemp Staffing assignments may be located at one of our three campuses (Seattle, Bothell, or Tacoma), as well as downtown Seattle, Harborview Medical Center, Health Sciences Center, Northgate, Sand Point, UW Medical Center, or UWMC Roosevelt.
Please read through all this information before submitting your application!
To apply for a position with UTemp Staffing,
- Applicants with Existing Profiles: If you wish to make edits to your existing profile, you must do this FIRST, as clicking on "Apply for this job" will automatically submit your resume. To edit your profile, login to the UW Employment website. Click "Returning Applicants" and enter your email and the password you created for the site. Click "Edit My Profile" and make your edits. When your profile is ready to submit, click on the temporary position job requisition and submit your application.
New Applicants Only: Open the temporary position job requisition. In the upper left-hand corner, click on "Apply for this job." Click on "External Candidate – Create Profile," and complete your profile in the UWHIRES job application system. You will be asked to provide basic information, upload a resume, and note your availability to work. After entering the information and clicking "apply for this job," you will be asked to complete both a Work Authorization assessment and a Criminal Conviction History assessment.
Once you begin the assessment, it must be completed at that time. You cannot save a partially completed assessment to return to later. If you have limited time, do not start an assessment. Instead, choose "Click here to complete the assessment at a later time," then return when you have more time available. You cannot go back and edit an assessment after you complete and submit it, so be sure to review your answers or text carefully. For help, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 206-543-2544.
You will receive an email when your application has been received. You can track the status of your application by returning to the UW Employment website. Click "Returning Applicants" and enter your email and the password you created for the site.
The University of Washington is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. To request disability accommodation in the application process; contact the Disability Services Office at 206-543-6450, 206-543-6452 (tty), or email@example.com.
- UTemp Staffing will review your application. If you are identified as having skills and experience that are a match for either a specific position or common job openings, a UTemp Staffing Specialist will call you to set up an interview.
- If you are scheduled for an interview with UTemp Staffing, please print and complete the following three forms and bring them to your interview. If you cannot print and complete the forms before your interview, arrive 20 minutes before your appointment to allow time to complete the forms. Please also bring identification showing your eligibility to work in the U.S. and a list of professional references. If you have questions, contact a UTemp Staffing Specialist at 206-543-3652.
When Hired as a UTemp Staffing Employee
Congratulations on your temporary staffing assignment, and welcome to the University of Washington! Being a new employee can be overwhelming. To make your transition as smooth as possible, please take the Online Temporary Employee Orientation. This orientation will provide many of the details you need as you settle into your new job.
Things to Know Before Your First Day
In case you aren't able to complete your orientation prior to your first day, here are answers to frequently asked questions.
Can I get a bus or parking pass?
With your new temporary assignment, you may be eligible to purchase a quarterly UW FlexPass, which allows for unlimited use of public transportation. See your staffing specialist for more information about obtaining this.
How do I report my time worked?
After our payroll coordinator has set you up to use the UW Online Timesheet, you may log into the Employee Self Service (ESS) website, click the Timesheet link, and begin entering your hours. You must submit your timesheet at the end of each pay period (the 15th and last day of the month) in order to be paid.
When will I be paid?
Paychecks are distributed twice a month: on the 10th (for work performed between the 16th and end of the month) and the 25th (for work performed between the 1st and 15th). However, if pay day falls on a weekend or holiday, the pay day will fall on the nearest business day.
Can I sign up for direct deposit?
Yes, if fact, it is required. Sign up for direct deposit on the Employee Self-Service website, under the Earnings tab. It generally takes only one pay cycle for your direct deposit to take effect.
May I use the library?
Yes. While on assignment, temporary employees may check out books, DVDs, and other available resources from UW's many libraries.
Can I apply for other UW jobs while working as a temporary employee?
Yes. However, please give us two weeks' notice prior to ending your appointment. You can also apply for positions that are "only" open to UW employees.
Temp Assignment Completed?
If your UTemp Staffing temporary assignment is ending, please call us three days prior to your assignment end date and let us know if you would like to be considered for another assignment. A staffing specialist will call you if/when another opportunity is available.
Please remember to keep your candidate profile updated with relevant skills and experience, including your last UTemp assignment. To do so, visit the UW Employment website, click "Returning Applicants" and enter your email and the password you created for the site.