Gaining work experience while earning a degree can help students learn important skills and look more attractive to graduate schools or potential employers.
We have limited funds for supporting computing internships for AccessComputing Student Team Members. Many students complete these internships on their campuses or with local non-profit organizations.
In addition, AccessComputing has limited funding for research internships for undergraduates with disabilities. Research interns may work with faculty members at their own institutions or other universities to complete research projects.
For more information about these internships, email email@example.com. Our staff will work with students to find an internship opportunity in their community.
Below you'll find a list of great internship opportunities. Many of these companies or organizations have employed AccessComputing Student Team Members as interns!
- The REU for Increasing Diversity at Duke University offers research internships in engineering fields, including computer engineering, with an emphasis on including groups that are underrepresented, including students with disabilities.
- Distributed Research Experiences for Undergraduates matches women and students from underrepresented groups, including students with disabilities, with a computer science or engineering faculty mentor for summer research experiences at the mentor’s home institution.
- There are many National Science Foundation (NSF) sponsored sites for research experiences for undergraduates. Search for a site on the NSF's website.
Internship Programs for Students with Disabilities
- ENTRY POINT! offers outstanding internship opportunities for students with disabilities in science, engineering, mathematics, computer science, and some fields of business. Students with disabilities can apply their skills in a real-world setting in competitive summer internships.
- The Emerging Leaders Internship Program matches undergraduate and graduate level college students with disabilities with paid summer internships at prominent corporations. Students are strongly encouraged to apply early, because early applicants have the greatest opportunity for placement in an internship.
- The Workforce Recruitment Program (WRP) connects public and private sector employers with postsecondary students with disabilities. Employers can fill both temporary and permanent positions in a variety of fields, using WRP applicants. During fall, personal interviews are conducted on college campuses. By late March, a database of student information is made available to employers. Interested employers make direct contact with students about job offers. The database remains active for one year. Ask your school’s disability services or career services coordinator if WRP will be visiting your campus this fall.
Companies with Internship Programs
- Amazon Internships
- AT&T Internships and Development Programs
- Bureau of Labor Statistics Student Employment
- Cisco Internships
- Department of Defense Internships
- Google Internships
- IBM Internships and Co-op Opportunities
- Kaiser Permanente Internships
- Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Internships
- Liberty Mutual Internships
- Microsoft College Internship Program
- Prudential Internships
- Yahoo! Internships