Skip to content

Frequently asked questions

How do I make a public records request?

Click here to submit a public records request via the online portal.

Alternatively, you may mail or fax your request. You must include your contact information and a description of the records sought. If you need assistance, please contact us by telephone or in person (by appointment only) and we will assist you. Hand-delivered requests may be placed in the Office’s request drop box, which is located at 4311 11th Ave NE, Seattle, WA. Our fax number is (206) 616-6294.

What happens when I make a public records request?

The Office of Public Records and Open Public Meetings acts as a clearing house for requests for records from the public. When we receive a request, it joins a queue of other public records requests.
Within five business days you will be sent a notification that your request has been received. The office’s staff contacts the department(s) that holds the records you seek and provides them with a copy of your request. The departments will identify, collect and forward the records to the Office of Public Records and Open Public Meetings.
Once received, public records staff will review the records and may redact information from records as allowed by the public records statute, state law, federal law or case law. Our staff may also notify third parties who have an interest in the records that you have made a public records request.
Once our staff completes the review and records are ready to be released, you will be contacted. Response time to requests varies depending on many factors such as volume and complexity.

How much does it cost to obtain public records?

The University is piloting an online portal through which requestors can receive digital records.
If you would like to opt in to this pilot project, please contact our office. The costs are as follows:

$0.05 for every 4 files, and $0.10 per GB

You may opt-in to the pilot program, otherwise our standard charges apply. See below:

Discs (CD) $0.69 per CD
Envelope $0.29 per envelope
Photocopy (Black & White copy) $0.15 per page
First Class US Postage

Requestors will be notified in advance of any non-standard charges.

The portal says my password is incorrect, what should I do?

Our portal automatically resets the password every 42 days. If you have not accessed it recently, you may need to reset your password here.

How do I request my personnel file?

If you are a current employee (not faculty) you may request a copy of your official personnel file from UW Human Resources here.

How do I access my payslips?

If you are a current employee instructions for accessing your payslips can be found here.

If you are a former employee (former employees are eligible to access electronic copies of their payslips through the remainder of the year in which they left the University, plus three years afterward) instructions for accessing your payslips can be found here.

How do I submit a request employment verification?

Instructions for submitting employment verification requests can be found here.

How do I request medical records?

If you are seeking medical records, you can find guidance here.

How do I request a copy of my transcript and/or enrollment/graduation verification?

If you are a student, you may request your transcript here.

Requests for enrollment/graduation verification can be made here.