University of Washington Policy Directory

Print This Page
*Formerly part of the University Handbook
Administrative Policy Statement

Accident, Injury, and Illness Reporting

(Approved by the Executive Director of Health Sciences Administration by authority of Executive Order No. 1 and the Senior Vice President for Finance and Facilities by authority of Executive Order No. 5)

1.  Reporting of Injuries, Illnesses, and Incidents

  A. What to Report

Any accident, injury, or work-related illness, or on-the-job incident which could have caused an injury or illness, must be reported to the employee's supervisor and the Department of Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S). This reporting ensures that comprehensive records are maintained, legal requirements are met, and corrective action is initiated to prevent future incidents.

  B. How to Report

All occurrences should be recorded by preparing and submitting EH&S's Online Accident Reporting System (OARS) form within 24 hours following the accident.

The University of Washington Medical Center (UWMC) and Harborview Medical Center (HMC) units should use the Patient Safety Network (PSN) to report employee accidents and incidents. The medical centers are responsible for transferring the data from PSN into OARS.

When an accident involves a visitor, student, or other non-employee, the facility manager or event coordinator should complete the OARS form.

Note: If an accident results in death or hospitalization, then EH&S must be notified immediately by telephone.

EH&S maintains an accident report guidance document on the Accidents and Incidents web page to help answer questions.

  C. Worker's Compensation Program

University employees and volunteer workers whose injury or illness occurred as a result of employment are eligible for Workers' Compensation coverage and benefits. More information about coverage and benefits is available from the Office of Risk Management web page or by calling (206-543-0183).

If an on-the-job injury or illness occurs, the employee or volunteer may go to the physician of his or her choice. Employees obtain workers' compensation claim forms from their treating physician. The physician will complete the physician's section of the form (Report of Industrial Injury or Occupational Disease) and send the original and the injured worker's section to the state Department of Labor and Industries. This form must be completed by the medical provider to initiate the claim.

The University's workers' compensation program is described in Administrative Policy Statement 14.1.

The employee must also complete the University's OARS form.

2.  Reporting Vehicle Accidents

University of Washington Fleet Services works with an outside company, CEI Group Inc., to manage accident reporting for Fleet Services vehicles. The CEI accident reports are located in the glove box of all University vehicles. For complete details, view the Fleet Services Web site or the EH&S compliance guidance web page.

State law requires the State of Washington Motor Vehicle Collision Report, form 3000-345-161(9/00), to be completed in addition to the CEI accident report if the damage exceeds $700 or there is a personal injury or death associated with the accident. Send the completed collision report to the agencies listed at the top of the form. These forms are kept in the glove box of Fleet Services vehicles.

3.  Regulations

This policy statement is based upon federal reporting regulations in 29 CFR 1904 and state requirements in WAC 296-800-320.

4.  Additional Information

For additional information concerning the OARS form, contact the Environmental Health and Safety Department.

November 1987; September 28, 2010.