July 7, 2005
MEDIA ADVISORY: Governor, academics and business leaders to speak on Washington’s economic competitiveness
WHAT: “Education and Productivity: A 21st Century Workforce” conference.
- Christine Gregoire, governor of Washington
- Brad Smith, general counsel and senior vice president, Microsoft Corp.
- Thomas Bailey, professor, Columbia University
- Eric Hanushek, professor, Hoover Institution, Stanford University
- Giovanni Peri, professor, University of California, Davis & Los Angeles
- Kevin Stiroh, Federal Reserve Bank of New York
WHEN: Monday, July 11, 8 a.m.-1 p.m.
WHERE: William H. Gates Hall (law school), UW Seattle campus, Room 138.
DETAILS: Hosted by the Economic Policy Research Center at the University of Washington, the event will feature government, academic and business leaders discussing ways to accelerate the region’s economy by leveraging its leadership in the technology sector. Economists will discuss the impact innovation has on the regional economy, business leaders will outline the steps the state and region will need to take to increase jobs over the next decade, and Gregoire will describe her vision for enlarging the state’s economy.