- On This Page
- Your Personal UW NetID
- Changing or Resetting Your Password
- Other UW NetID Types
Your Personal UW NetID
Your personal UW NetID (and its password) provides access to many UW online services including MyUW and UW Email. Your UW NetID verifies who you are, ensures the privacy of your personal information, and restricts the use of UW resources to authorized users.
Get a personal UW NetID
View and manage your services
Changing or Resetting Your Password
If you know your UW NetID, you can change your password or reset a forgotten password at any time.
Alternative Ways to Change Your Password
If you do not know your current password or would rather not use the online method, you have several alternatives:
Current UW faculty, staff, and clinicians can call the UW Information Technology Service Center at 206-221-5000
Changing your password by phone requires verification of your identity. You may be asked to FAX (not email) your photo ID and a phone number.
Students, student applicants, and alumni should come to the UW Information Technology Service Center with an appropriate photo ID. The Service Center staff will give you a temporary UW NetID password that you can then change to something known only to you. If this is a hardship for you, please call the Service Center.
If you obtained your UW NetID through another organization that has a relationship with the UW, such as Cascadia Community College or Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, you may need to contact their support services to change your password.
Protect Your Password
Prevent someone else from using your UW services:
- Use passwords that are difficult to guess and change them regularly.
- Never tell anyone your password. UW staff, including UW Information Technology consultants, will NEVER ask for your password. Email messages that ask you to send your UW NetID and password (such as to "verify your account") are fakes and should not be responded to.
Other UW NetID Types
- Shared accounts are used when a number of people want to share the same UW NetID.
- Temporary/Visitor accounts provide a visitor or guest with access to UW's wireless networks. Current faculty or staff can create a temporary account for their guests.
- Sponsored accounts are for individuals who are not otherwise eligible for a UW NetID and may be sponsored by any current UW faculty or staff member.
- Admin accounts are used for administering a set of workstations, servers or a domain.
You will occasionally receive a service expiration notice from the UW. This notice is for services only; not the UW NetID, password and forwarding service.
Your UW NetID account is provided for life but services (such as email, web publishing, etc.) that are available to you depend on the type of affiliation you have with the UW at a given time. You may also have multiple affiliations, so if you have questions or concerns about this, please contact the UW-IT Service Center at 206-221-5000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
No Longer an Active Student, Faculty, or Staff Member?
Your UW NetID, password and forwarding is still active. You can use your UW NetID to forward your email to your UW Google Apps or UW Windows Live account. Google Apps and UW Windows Live accounts do not expire for graduates, current or former students.
- Faculty and staff
Your UW NetID, password and forwarding is still active. You can use your UW NetID to forward your email to another email service outside of the UW managed systems. UW Google Apps and UW Windows Live Accounts will expire after you are separated from the UW in our payroll system.
Retired Faculty, Retired Staff, and Emeritus Faculty keep their UW NetID and email and other services do not expire.
- UW Extension students
Your UW NetID, password and forward service are still active. You can use your UW NetID to forward your email to another email service outside of the UW managed systems. Most computing services expire at the end of the quarter(s) you take a UW Extension class; however, extension students will still continue to have email services available.
Your UW NetID is Permanent
In general, your UW NetID is permanent and cannot be changed except in rare circumstances. For more information, send email to email@example.com.